diy solar

diy solar

Hi im jeff . 43 years old with a mechanical, with some electrical experience. I currently operate cranes

Jeffery christy

advanced question.
48 volt ,18kw system , grid tie with battery backup.
My intent is to have enough battery to completely run my home from dusk to dawn without switching to the grid , or rarely using the grid .
How do I calculate the AH. Needed ?
What battery will give me the best return of investment?
Would a 48 volt forklift battery do the job for a few years until the China tariff is removed?

Hi Jeff!

Welcome to the forums. Since you won't have a problem getting the panels on your roof... go large :p

My intent is to have enough battery to completely run my home from dusk to dawn without switching to the grid , or rarely using the grid . How do I calculate the AH. Needed ?
The FAQ has a number of formulas and explanations that'll help. But to know the number of amp hours at 48V, all you need to know is how many watt hours you need and how much coverage you want when the sun isn't shining. You can figure out how many watt hours you use by looking at your power bills. AH = watt hours / voltage; so if you were using 30 kWh/d and wanted power to get you through two days it would be 30,000 / 48 *2 = 1250 AH.

While solar has a positive ROI, AFAIK no battery does. Batteries are just a bad investment currently; but change is coming.

Hi Jeff!

Welcome to the forums. Since you won't have a problem getting the panels on your roof... go large :p

The FAQ has a number of formulas and explanations that'll help. But to know the number of amp hours at 48V, all you need to know is how many watt hours you need and how much coverage you want when the sun isn't shining. You can figure out how many watt hours you use by looking at your power bills. AH = watt hours / voltage; so if you were using 30 kWh/d and wanted power to get you through two days it would be 30,000 / 48 *2 = 1250 AH.

While solar has a positive ROI, AFAIK no battery does. Batteries are just a bad investment currently; but change is coming.

Remember to factor in DOD availability... a forklift battery might only have a 30 or 50% DOD... so to have 1250 Ah available, you would need 2500Ah battery...
Lithium has 80-100% DOD... so, it may be the less expensive purchase choice. Especially when you factor in longevity.

Remember to factor in DOD availability... a forklift battery might only have a 30 or 50% DOD... so to have 1250 Ah available, you would need 2500Ah battery...
Lithium has 80-100% DOD... so, it may be the less expensive purchase choice. Especially when you factor in longevity.
I'm looking for a battery solution that dosent involve me paying a 5k china duty

Batteries have a ROI? lol

100% of the financial ROI comes from the PV. The batteries are a pure cost. You can, however, try to determine which battery has the lowest cost over a time frame like 10 years. Lithium is winning that battle.

Intangible returns include: ability to consume more, safety (LiFePO4 is the winner here), UPS when grid is down (which is 24/7 if totally off grid), how long you can maintain power when grid is down or it is cloudy if off-grid. Investing in these intangibles often means purchasing batteries, and this can dent your payback period really fast.

The best payback period (best direct financial ROI) is currently grid-tie w/o batteries.

If your income depends on power, then UPS can potentially be translated to a financial ROI. E.g., data centers. I'm in this category. I view batteries as short-term UPS, and solar as long-term UPS. Business continuity has financial value, and thus increases the ROI calculation. Though business continuity is only a portion of my consumption.

The variations in how people value the intangibles is why there is no one size fits all for how much battery capacity a person should have.

If you can get a 48-volt lead acid (LA) forklift battery cheap then it can be the best place to start cash flow-wise. If buying new for long-haul, you'll probably do better with LiFePO4 due to the higher cycle life. If you are only doing 50% discharge on the forklift battery to extend its life, then you'd want to compare 510ah of forklifting to 255ah of LiFePO4. When you then include the number of cycles until a certain point in capacity is reached, such as 80% of original, you'll likely find that LiFePO4 costs less over 10 years, though it's upfront costs are certainly higher.

Last edited:
Can you recommend a lifep04 supplier with lowest price and without China tariff

It all comes from China, sorry. I for one am skeptical about LiFePo4 unless you get a battle born. Soooo many videos of people dropping thousands and getting used, mismatched ah cells with the markings scratched off. No thanks! Lithium is the clear winner when you can count on the product and the number of cycles you should get out of it, but if you ask me the market is a mess right now. I'll be upgrading my battery pack in the spring, but I'll still be using SLA. When the lithium gets more reliable/regulated, and I can believe in a product without dropping six grand or more on Battle borns, I'll be all in. I hope that day comes soon, but it's not today.

I came across #60. 12 volt data safe lead acid batteries. I'm curious how you would go about wiring them in a 48 volt system?
I mean should I make groups of 4 in series, then parallel the groups? Or parallel groups into 4 groups then parallel that into 48 volts?
Or does it matter? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

advanced question.
48 volt ,18kw system , grid tie with battery backup.
My intent is to have enough battery to completely run my home from dusk to dawn without switching to the grid , or rarely using the grid .
How do I calculate the AH. Needed ?
Would a 48 volt forklift battery do the job for a few years until the China tariff is removed?

Hello,
I'm in San jose, Ca, just finised my 48v Off Grid system,
Here is my setup :
- 375w REC solar panel x 9 ( Total 3375 w )
- Midnite Classic 150 Charge controller
- Meritsun 48v/200AH Lifepo4 battery Powerwall ( Total 10Kwh )
- 48v/7000w/120v ac Reliable Inverter
It's been running very nice, power a whole home all day and night
For the total price less than $9000 Usd, pretty good deal,

If you want to go large, just double my system size, good to power an average 1500-2000 sq home off grid easily ( assume that you get 4-5 sun hour/day )

Back