diy solar

diy solar

Hi need help

Bigfoo171

I got flooded golf cart batteries four of them I’m looking to keep them warm in the winter looking for a 12 V heating pad any help Would be appreciated?

How cold does it get? Typically you don't need to be concerned about flooded. Yes, power availability will be reduced but not by a lot.

So about six months ago I became homeless living out of a camper I don’t really want to put my batteries in the camper I was gonna put them in the shed we live here in Michigan sometimes in the winter it’s -3 to -4° But I wanna prepare for even colder just to be on the safe side I was trying to find a heating pad that run off 12 V

Do a forum search for 'winter' and other related terms. There are a number of threads talking about wintering batteries and heating pads.

I don’t really want to put my batteries in the camper I was gonna put them in the shed we live here in Michigan sometimes in the winter it’s -3 to -4° But I wanna prepare for even colder just to be on the safe side I was trying to find a heating pad that run off 12 V

Depending on how much charging/discharging the batteries do,
Insulation is probably going to do the job rather than consuming power with a heating pad.
Batteries generate heat, particularly when charging...

The 'Trick' would be to keep cold from creeping in, and heat from escaping, so batteries pushed together would be thermal mass, and insulation all around would most likely do the job.
Heat escapes 'Up', so thick insulation on top, cold has to creep in from below, so if heat can't escape cold can't creep in.

I did a plastic 'Tub' the first year and figured out two things,
I didn't like standing on my head to service the batteries way down in a 'Hole' (tub),
And it made the terminal maintiance a pain in the ass.

The next year I flipped the tub.
'Lid' on bottom, insulation board under and around batteries, taped around the outside of the batteries,
(I used 2" styrofoam board wrapped/taped in plastic sheeting)
And glued insulation board into the 'Bottom' of the tub (now top/side cover) and about 3" around the sides so I could get direct access to the battery tops.
The tub 'Bottom' and side insulation sit on the insulation I had the batteries wrapped in and sealed up well.

I used a rubber bathtub mat on the battery tops to keep my insulation from getting eaten by the terminals

It got -20°F that winter and I didn't have issues.

Just an idea if you can use it.

I was gonna put them in the shed we live here in Michigan sometimes in the winter it’s -3 to -4°
I have lived in Michigan for 40+ years. Michigan sometimes gets a lot colder than that. It was only in 2014 that we got -30F ambient temps. It destroyed my GPS I had left in the car. You might want to prepare for -30F ambient temps so you are covered for 95% of the winters here.

Insulate, insulate, insulate and preserve whatever heat you do have, from a heating pad or otherwise.

Back