diy solar

diy solar

Hi! Want to solar power low wattage grow lights in an off grid greenhouse

brindledog

Hi,
I set up a portable poly tunnel for the winter. I live in a very mild climate that rarely gets below the low 40's even on winter nights. I don't need a heater, but I do need grow lights to keep my vegetables and fruits producing. I was hoping to power 300 watts of grow lights for 2-3 hours each night. Even 200 watts might suffice.

I bought an Awanfi 505Wh solar power station and initially tried charging it with a TP solar 100W 12V flexible panel, but it took forever to charge. I know the power station requires a higher voltage, but the panel description actually states a higher voltage. I returned the TP for a foldable 120W panel that was geared towards these power stations, but again it took forever to charge. I am limited in space and this polytunnel is only for the winter, so I am not interested in permanently affixing anything. That said, I'm confused about the difference between the portable power stations and the 12V marine battery systems. I had 2 100W panels on my old RV, and they powered many of the small lights and fans, but I didn't set that up and have no idea how it worked. I do know that there does not appear to be any DC or 12V powered full spectrum grow lights available, so I have to use a 120V outlet. I hate the loss of power that creates, but can't do much about it.

So I'm hoping to find some advice on here about how to create a system with enough power to run my 200-300 watts of grow lights for up to 3 hours per day. More, if possible. It is not clear to me how long a deep cycle marine battery would last running the lights or how much solar panel I need to charge that battery.

Finally, someone offered to give me some used rooftop panels that are 300 watts/ 35 volts each. They are also standard size. Could one of those be used to charge a 12 volt battery quickly and provide sufficient energy to meet my power needs?

1. What voltage are your grow lights?
  2. Forget 'deep cycle' & 'leisure' batteries. You cannot take them below 50% charge without causing permanent damage
  3. LiFePO4 - Lithium Iron Phosphate is the way to go.
  4. 300W for 3 hours is 900Wh. So call it 1kWh demand. So maybe aim for a minimum 100Ah LiFePO4 battery
  5. Used 300W cells - grab them

The grow lights are 120V. If I'm understanding your question correctly. And yeah, I'm going to try and pick up one or two panels.

Thoughts on the Bluetti EB150? Would that work? It appears it could be charged by a 300W, 35 volt panel, and it has the storage capacity I'd need, assuming it would recharge at least partially each day.

Back