diy solar

diy solar

HIDANCE DT3010 DC Volt/Ammeter Questions

Sillyputty

Solar Enthusiast
I finally received my first AliExpress purchase: a HIDANCE DT3010 DC Battery Capacity DC Power meter. What I received doesn't quite look like the first pictures in the advertisement, nor does it correspond with the ones I've seen Will use in some of his videos.

In short, the meter I received only has two connections for power/battery source (V+ in, V- in) and one for load (V- out) while what I thought I was getting and what Will uses has all four connections. The meter I received also has none of the shunts shown in the advertisements pics, nor are the connections to the board as robust.

What I thought I bought:
AliExpress Ammeter.png

What I got:

IMG_20201209_110250_3[1].jpg
I have since noted that in the product description on AliExpress the meter that I received is shown at the bottom of the product description after all of the pictures of the more robust meter that I thought I was ordering, yet they are both under the same item description as far as capacity and functionality.

Questions:

1) How does this difference in layout and design affect it's use compared to the more robust model?
2) As far as functionality, is it an "apples to apples" comparison to the more robust looking meter?
3) Why is there no V+ out on this model? Can this be added (there is a place on the circuit board) or is it not needed?
4) What specific model of meter is Will using? (I'll look on his vids to see If I can determine that).

Thanks!

UPDATE: At around 5 minutes in, Will's video on intermediate lithium battery capacity testing actually mentions what look like the two testers/meters that I referenced above, and answers some of my questions. That said, I can't see how the less robust one I received can match the high current capacity of the tester that I thought I was receiving, as the one I have has no visible shunts and much smaller terminal connections.

And although the board displays look identical in all of these testers mentioned, and I can access the LVD screen and adjust the value (I set it for <12V since I was testing it with an already charged SLA battery) it also has no low true voltage cut-off - it just beeps and displays a warning when that LV target is met.

@Will Prowse - perhaps you can chime in with your thoughts if you get a chance?

Thanks everyone!

Back