diy solar

diy solar

High Altitude Inverter w/ Well Pump Recommendations

PaleBlueDotFarm

Hello!

The internet has talked me out of replacing my perfectly functioning 1997 Trace SW4024 inverter while converting my new homestead (9000' ft elevation) from seasonal to full-time use. The inverter adequately supports a 3/4 hp 300 ft well pump from the house panel by way of a PSX-240 transformer.

While I am not running to replace the inverter, I'd like to have something on standby. It seems like the all-in-ones are a disaster in waiting at that altitude, so I'm looking for a straight 6000w inverter. If I can get rid of the transformer and do 240 direct, great.

Anyone running at 6000watt-ish inverter at 6000+ feet with a well pump?

Thank you!

6500' elevation. Neighbor uses this one on his 3hp 700' deep Grundfos, split phase 120/240 in 24 and 48V models (he uses 24V):

Hungry idle burn (most of this size and price do), so it's only on when needed. Pumps 1-2 hours 1-2 times per week to fill 2X 1000gal tanks above water.

He recently replaced his same vintage SW4024 (I tried to get him to mount his spare in split phase configuration) with a Magnum MS4024PAE 120/240V split phase unit. He's had trouble with it dropping to 58.3Hz for several hours per day. No response from Magnum.

6500' elevation. Neighbor uses this one on his 3hp 700' deep Grundfos, split phase 120/240 in 24 and 48V models (he uses 24V):

Hungry idle burn (most of this size and price do), so it's only on when needed. Pumps 1-2 hours 1-2 times per week to fill 2X 1000gal tanks above water.

He recently replaced his same vintage SW4024 (I tried to get him to mount his spare in split phase configuration) with a Magnum MS4024PAE 120/240V split phase unit. He's had trouble with it dropping to 58.3Hz for several hours per day. No response from Magnum.
I think covid killed magnum.

Pardon the dumb question from a flatlander living at 1100' ASL but how does elevation affect an inverter?

Pardon the dumb question from a flatlander living at 1100' ASL but how does elevation affect an inverter?

Based on my very limited understanding, some equipment is not rated for high elevation operation due to the potential for arcing across contacts.

• With a constant gap length, the voltage necessary to arc across the gap decreased as the pressure was reduced and then increased gradually, exceeding its original value.
  • With a constant pressure, the voltage needed to cause an arc reduced as the gap size was reduced but only to a point. As the gap was reduced further, the voltage required to cause an arc began to rise and again exceeded its original value.

Back