diy solar

diy solar

High AMP DC-DC charger

Freep

Solar Enthusiast
I've got an Orion TR 30 AMP charger but I'm starting to realize that I should have gotten myself a bigger charger since my alternator is a 180 AMP alternator.

Any recommendations? Ultimately, I'd like to get rid of the generator in my camper, which only gets occasional use and the most it will ever push is 45 AMPs through the PD4045 mighty mini.

Redarc has a line of DC-DC chargers, good quality but not cheap. You can parallel chargers if you need more current. Care must be taken with wiring etc to ensure they share the load equally.

What’s the size of your battery?

I have a 20A and a 40A Renogy dc/dc in two RVs that I own. Both work well with 180AH batteries. Absolutely no reason to get a bigger dc/dc even if the alt can handle it.

I haven’t used the genny since switching to LiFePO4.

Absolutely no reason to get a bigger dc/dc even if the alt can handle it.

271 ah

The reason would be so that if we need to charge while still camped, then we don't have to run the engine for as long.

I've got an Orion TR 30 AMP charger but I'm starting to realize that I should have gotten myself a bigger charger since my alternator is a 180 AMP alternator.

Any recommendations? Ultimately, I'd like to get rid of the generator in my camper, which only gets occasional use and the most it will ever push is 45 AMPs through the PD4045 mighty mini.
Since you already have one of the victron Orion dc-dc chargers you could buy however many more you want and then you can run them in parallel. I was reading through the Orion manual and it is a simple process to run them in parallel. Otherwise sterling has some high amp models too.

Since you already have one of the victron Orion dc-dc chargers you could buy however many more you want and then you can run them in parallel. I was reading through the Orion manual and it is a simple process to run them in parallel.

Was this a printed manual or online. I just looked and the only thing I saw WRT parallel operation was this

"4.2 Connection setup for power supply mode
1. Disconnect the remote on/off (remove wire bridge).
2. Connect the input supply cables.
3. Open the VictronConnect App to setup the product. (always adjust the output voltage before connecting in parallel or connecting a battery) "

From https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...-Smart-Charger-Isolated-EN-NL-FR-DE-SE-PL.pdf

I’m wondering how much power can be pulled from an alternator before running into problems. The Victron video showing heat build up at low idle revs for instance

if you have a 140A modern vehicle alternator in say a sprinter or ducato/promaster what’s the max amp dc to dc charger recommended?

Has your battery charge gotten low while camping? Do you have solar? If not, your money is better spent on solar.

Your vehicle is an expensive battery charger!

Has your battery charge gotten low while camping? Do you have solar? If not, your money is better spent on solar.

Your vehicle is an expensive battery charger!
I have 300 watts of solar on the camper and as I stated before I've got a generator that doesn't see much use. If I know I can charge the batteries as fast or faster by turning on the engine, then why keep the generator?

We went out for geographic distancing for the month of March and had to run the generator for an hour or two a day on sunny days when we worked. But since then I upgraded the solar from 90w to 300W and I've just installed a new 271ah bank replacing the two 100ah lifeline AMGs I had. I suspect that there will be some working days with no sun where I will have to charge the batteries with the generator, but I'm not sure.

What I am sure of is my gen maxes out at 45 amps and my DC-DC charger maxes out at 30 amps. So if I can increase that to 60 amps, then I can lose a lot of weight and gain a bunch of storage space.

Last edited:
Was this a printed manual or online. I just looked and the only thing I saw WRT parallel operation was this

"4.2 Connection setup for power supply mode
1. Disconnect the remote on/off (remove wire bridge).
2. Connect the input supply cables.
3. Open the VictronConnect App to setup the product. (always adjust the output voltage before connecting in parallel or connecting a battery) "

From https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...-Smart-Charger-Isolated-EN-NL-FR-DE-SE-PL.pdf
Now that I think about it more it may have been in a product description. I also read the manual. I’m positive you can run them in parallel though.

I have 300 watts of solar on the camper and as I stated before I've got a generator that doesn't see much use. If I know I can charge the batteries as fast or faster by turning on the engine, then why keep the generator?

The PD is known to be a sub-standard charger. It almost never charges at rated current. I know the Iota converter will supply rated current.

The PD is ok on shore power where you’re not looking for a quick charge, but not great when running the genny.

Now that I think about it more it may have been in a product description. I also read the manual. I’m positive you can run them in parallel though.
You can parallel all sorts of chargers if they are operating in current mode. Currents will add. Chargers that are operating in voltage mode will not add their currents. The charger with the greatest voltage will supply all the current.

I have a 20A and a 40A Renogy dc/dc in two RVs that I own. Both work well with 180AH batteries. Absolutely no reason to get a bigger dc/dc even if the alt can handle it.

I haven’t used the genny since switching to LiFePO4.
I run a Renolgy 40amp DC-DC charger. It works as it should.

Back