diy solar

diy solar

High battery volt inverter

Batronca

Hi everyone,
Anyone think about build DIY high voltage battery to use with high DC volt. Is there any advantage and disadvantag.

1637823300422.png

advantage is the closer you are to the " grid " voltage, the more efficient it usually is, less conversion etc... that said, it becomes more dangerous...

modern inverters are pretty efficient at safer voltages , eg 48v etc...

Not many DIY friendly high voltage inverters available, higher voltage can be dangerous, etc. It could be nice to use a whole EV battery pack, but it's a little hard to move around even just to install it.

Where's that picture from? Seems generally like a solar edge solar / battery inverter?

No, that picture is from Megarevo, some company like GE, Goodwe, LG,Huayu.....do high voltage battery too.

Attachments

• C97CE980-5530-4BA5-9648-0C0187DA06B0.png
    C97CE980-5530-4BA5-9648-0C0187DA06B0.png
    515.1 KB · Views: 17
  • CB31993E-31ED-4536-B88B-0B15320072C9.png
    CB31993E-31ED-4536-B88B-0B15320072C9.png
    553.7 KB · Views: 17
To your original question; Yes, I do think about it. I might consider it for adding future battery capacity by using a whole EV battery pack. There would be some work to get the CAN / rs485 messages that the inverter would expect to see, and translate them from the EV battery BMS, as well as control the battery pack contactors.

Hmm, the GE sheets say GoodWe on them. Approved battery options are BYD, GoodWe, LG RESU.

The LG batteries have been sold for a while by solar installers, probably the BMS CAN communication for them is available? One could make something to bridge from an EV battery BMS, pretending to be an LG battery and then it might work?

EV battery , ESS Module battery....all is high voltage, second lives of those battery for solar will need high dc voltage hybrid inverters, I think it coming soon.
the rank of voltage 150v to 400v make it easy to work with

Last edited:
You might watch the Youtube channel of the late Jack Rickard EVTV Motors. He built several 48 Volt battery systems, but liked the high DC Tesla batteries at 300 to 400 Volt DC.

EV battery , ESS Module battery....all is high voltage, second lives of those battery for solar will need high dc voltage hybrid inverters, I think it coming soon.
the rank of voltage 150v to 400v make it easy to work with
Sunny boy storage is HV

Sunny boy storage is HV

Yes, but spec calls for max 40A short circuit current from battery.
That's not a battery, it's a boost converter output (LG RESU-H)
If using an actual high voltage battery, even a fast fuse would let a pulse of much more current, perhaps 1000's of amps, through.

It has crossed my mind. REC makes BMS modules that could do 128s. Don't know if it has the right protocol.

Back