diy solar

diy solar

High Current JBD / LLT Power Bluetooth BMS Options?

pr76

Hi All,
Long time lurker though only my first post on diysolarforum..
Have been playing around with solar, low voltage electrical and LiFePO4 for a while now with good sucess.
Am currently gathering components to complete a new caravan build consisting of a 4S 500Ah setup and am looking for something similar to a JBD / LLT Power Bluetooth BMS (e.g. JBD-SP04S020). These appear good being highly configurable and lots of info available via Bluetooth on the individual cells though for my current project I require a higher working amperage as I'll have a Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 feeding from the batteries. I see there now appears to be a 150A version too but am not sure if it is the same as the smaller ones and if suitable?
My query is whether it is possible to use the smaller JBD Bluetooth BMS' and have them trigger external battery disconnects / isolators such as a Victron BatteryProtect for the low voltage cutout and also high voltage, high / low temp cutouts? (Am thinking to set the Victron BatteryProtect's slightly higher and lower than the BMS as a failsafe).
I have previously used standard Daly BMS' though from what I have seen the Bluetooth info from their smart BMS' isn't as advanced as the JBD and I am also not keen on having to have them pre-programmed before purchase.
Can anyone shed some light on the subject or offer any further BMS / disconnect recommendations please?
Thanks Peter.

I went with 2 x 150amp 4s jbd Bms units

two sets of four batteries for my camper.

running induction cooking at 2400w draws about 90a on each unit. They don’t even break a sweat or heat up in the slightest . The 70mm2 cable every where may also be helping to draw away heat.

Iif I run the air con and the induction cooker at full tilt i get up to just under 160a on each unit.

camping is not like it use to be...

Adding a Pi , victron OS and shunt is on my to do list. However at present everything is just working with out issue, so don’t feel I need to have the additional monitoring at present.

Adding a Pi , victron OS and shunt is on my to do list. However at present everything is just working with out issue, so don’t feel I need to have the additional monitoring at present.
I went with 2 x 150amp 4s jbd Bms units

two sets of four batteries for my camper.

running induction cooking at 2400w draws about 90a on each unit. They don’t even break a sweat or heat up in the slightest . The 70mm2 cable every where may also be helping to draw away heat.

Iif I run the air con and the induction cooker at full tilt i get up to just under 160a on each unit.

camping is not like it use to be...
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you send a link? Did they include the Bluetooth dongle?

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you send a link? Did they include the Bluetooth dongle?
Yes Bluetooth dongle included , I also had the PC unit added to my order .

4S Lifepo4 or Lithium Ion Battery smart Bluetooth BMS 12V with 100A or 150A constant current UART communication

Yes Bluetooth dongle included , I also had the PC unit added to my order .

4S Lifepo4 or Lithium Ion Battery smart Bluetooth BMS 12V with 100A or 150A constant current UART communication
So I don't see where these are JBD and the pic doesn't match any of their other listings. They are performing well? Did you need to solder your own wires?

So I don't see where these are JBD and the pic doesn't match any of their other listings. They are performing well? Did you need to solder your own wires?
It’s the JBD AliExpress shop front as far as I can tell. I was provided the shop front in another thread in this forum.

yes performing very well. I’m not sure why overkill are not selling them. Perhaps overkill re sticking to a single line of BMS which I’d understand . The 150a is possibly much larger in its physical size . I’d be interested to know if the 120 and 150 units have the same Silicon onboard . I suspect the 150a has better silicon as it can run up to 200a at peak.

no solder , I’m using 6mm lugs with 70mm2 cable . I’m not sure what that is in AWG. I live in a metric and 240v county .

overall very happy with the 2x 150a units . They can push more current than I require at 12v for my campervan.

It’s the JBD AliExpress shop front as far as I can tell. I was provided the shop front in another thread in this forum.

yes performing very well. I’m not sure why overkill are not selling them. Perhaps overkill re sticking to a single line of BMS which I’d understand . The 150a is possibly much larger in its physical size . I’d be interested to know if the 120 and 150 units have the same Silicon onboard . I suspect the 150a has better silicon as it can run up to 200a at peak.

no solder , I’m using 6mm lugs with 70mm2 cable . I’m not sure what that is in AWG. I live in a metric and 240v county .

overall very happy with the 2x 150a units . They can push more current than I require at 12v for my campervan.
Thank you. Would it be possible to see some pics of your battery, and thus BMS in particular? Did it come with the lugs? I also forgot to ask about temp sensor.

Last edited:
Thank you. Would it be possible to see some pics of your battery, and thus BMS in particular? Did it come with the lugs? I also forgot to ask about temp sensor.
No pics , as installed. Think two identical banks of eve 280 ah x4 with the BMS I linked in a standard extra large battery box.

I purchased the lugs at an electrical store and crimped it all myself.

yes it has a temp sensor.

best to google and decide.

just a warning , if your not confident in building then don’t . high currents need to be treated with respect. And huge cables lugs etc.

No pics , as installed. Think two identical banks of eve 280 ah x4 with the BMS I linked in a standard extra large battery box.

I purchased the lugs at an electrical store and crimped it all myself.

yes it has a temp sensor.

best to google and decide.

just a warning , if your not confident in building then don’t . high currents need to be treated with respect. And huge cables lugs etc.
Thanks. Not worried about the build, just always used off the shelf stuff, that had lots of recommendations and reviews. Ali just does an incredibly poor job of giving information, and to be honest I have avoided them completely until now because I don't trust them to sell reputable stuff. That is why I was disappointed when Overkill didn't carry them. I refuse to use Daly products. I did try and google this BMS without success. Not on ebay or Amazon. This thread was the first I found where someone had purchased and received a potentially reputable product. Thanks for your concern though.

Thanks. Not worried about the build, just always used off the shelf stuff, that had lots of recommendations and reviews. Ali just does an incredibly poor job of giving information, and to be honest I have avoided them completely until now because I don't trust them to sell reputable stuff. That is why I was disappointed when Overkill didn't carry them. I refuse to use Daly products. I did try and google this BMS without success. Not on ebay or Amazon. This thread was the first I found where someone had purchased and received a potentially reputable product. Thanks for your concern though.
All good buddy,

ali is a bit like eBay , for China I guess. I’m down under. And sourcing items from China is not much different from the US or Europe in terms of time for delivery.

I Started by communicating with the selected Ali store confirmed price and then payed by a CC with insurance. However the insurance has never been required. Sometimes delivery takes ages, however the items always arrived eventually.

Many BMS and battery’s on this forum seem to come from China.

from what I can tell Overkill has amazing service and warranty and is a brilliant suppler for the US market. After sales service is just as important as the product in Many respects . If we had a similar suppler in OZ I’d support them. However we don’t here thus far .I take the China lucky dip. So far I’ve been lucky .

additionally overkill is limited to the JBD 120a version . For my needs I wanted to have a few more AMPs available so I mended to find a suppler for the 150a version .

Last edited:
So when you purchased you went directly to the store itself and did not purchase through Ali?

jbd store is a subset if AliExpress

I am also interested in doing a very similar build with two of these bms, so I was glad to see you had a good experience with them. Did you modify settings via bluetooth and an app on your phone, and was that straight forward? Have you verified the low termperature cutoff?

I am also interested in doing a very similar build with two of these bms, so I was glad to see you had a good experience with them. Did you modify settings via bluetooth and an app on your phone, and was that straight forward? Have you verified the low termperature cutoff?
Bluetooth app for monitoring and control only. Settings are fine left as default .

low temp cut off is not required in my part of the world. Temp sensors work fine otherwise

Back