diy solar

diy solar

High current, low cost, BMS

Aphers

After putting this off for months, I really need to get my cells and BMS ordered. The system will power cooking/refrigeration in a yacht. I don't anticipate operating in low temperatures.
I've decided to go with 4x272Ah Lishen cells from Shenzen Basen.
The only charging sources will be MPPT SCCs, and a Sterling B2B unit to take power from the alternator.

Single biggest load is 1.6kw induction hob. I plan to install a 3kw basic generic PSW inverter, and I think I can keep the actual load down to 2-2.5kw on that. These high loads will only be for short periods (say 20 minutes at a time, whilst cooking).

I am thinking of using a Daly Smart 300A BMS, common port. Should give me a bit of headroom. Shenzen Basen sell what looks like a Daly, but it's not branded as such: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...0.shop_pl.41413.16.47121a06hDfeaC&bypass=true

It seems a pretty good price (£150 plus shipping). But I know that building a system this way is a bit crude, compared to getting a smaller (smarter?) BMS and using relays for the actual disconnects. Question is, can I build a relay- based system at lower cost than this? And are there any other products I should be considering?

After putting this off for months, I really need to get my cells and BMS ordered. The system will power cooking/refrigeration in a yacht. I don't anticipate operating in low temperatures.
I've decided to go with 4x272Ah Lishen cells from Shenzen Basen.
The only charging sources will be MPPT SCCs, and a Sterling B2B unit to take power from the alternator.

Single biggest load is 1.6kw induction hob. I plan to install a 3kw basic generic PSW inverter, and I think I can keep the actual load down to 2-2.5kw on that. These high loads will only be for short periods (say 20 minutes at a time, whilst cooking).

I am thinking of using a Daly Smart 300A BMS, common port. Should give me a bit of headroom. Shenzen Basen sell what looks like a Daly, but it's not branded as such: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...0.shop_pl.41413.16.47121a06hDfeaC&bypass=true

It seems a pretty good price (£150 plus shipping). But I know that building a system this way is a bit crude, compared to getting a smaller (smarter?) BMS and using relays for the actual disconnects. Question is, can I build a relay- based system at lower cost than this? And are there any other products I should be considering?
Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to pull more than 0.5C from large cells. That's 135 to 140 amps, you may wish to think about a second battery. What you propose will likely work, but I would not plan on a Daly lasting very long.

Back