diy solar

diy solar

High level system Design

Surfsailspear

I am adding two 24v 200w panels to my sailboat. They will each connect to separate Victron solar charge controllers, the controllers will connect to the positive and negative busbars of the house battery bank, which will be two 12v 200ah Chins LiPO4s. The alternator will connect to the start battery, and between the start bank (105ah 12v AGM) and the house bank I will have a Victron Orion Smart 12/12 DC2DC 30amp charger to handle charging from the engine.

I have two questions: Will the Victron 100/20 solar controllers be the right ones vs the 100/30? And in general, does this set up look correct?

Thanks in advance for your input. As this is a high level design I left out the breakers etc.

Everything sounds good except why do you want 2 solar charge controllers? If the batteries are in parallel one will be fine. I might go with one 30 amp.

So on to my questions I am currently retrofitting a 1970 22' airstream that was bone stock( after a short cry of changing the craftsmanship) I am changing the bathroom (rear of trailer) with bedroom (center of trailer) this leading to all kinds of upgrades and efficiencies. Adding 2000watts of solar panels, composting toilet, triple pained gas filled windows and foam filled hull, with hydronic heating. My mini split Hvac system is causing most of my issues although the 3way fridge was a project using both a pump 12v DC ,110v AC along with propane (ammonia kettle). Although liking the 110v icemaker and yetty cooler option.

So for my 38 seer hvac unit I need 220v ac start up 16 amp (soft start 9 amp) 9000BTU is my biggest energy hog but over all the refrigerator in the long haul is. So I want a 240v system and I would prefer high frequency system for efficiency and mostly noise or the lack there of low frequency. How loud is your system? I don't mind getting a duel 3k system. My highest spike with everything on would be under 30 Amps draw. I want 48v @ 400amp as this system will patch into my house and not set idle. I want it to take over on the most expensive electric tears daily. My house is 70% more efficient that similar year houses in my subdivision. So looks like I can run my house off grid with a few more panels and back up power. So I want my trailer to supplement my home power. So any ideas on high frequency systems?

So I want a 240v system and I would prefer high frequency system for efficiency and mostly noise or the lack there of low frequency.
The quality low frequency inverters typically have better efficiency.
Is the air conditioner your only 240VAC load?

Yes and it costing me quite a bit more for 38seer over 32seer (in 110vac) did you catch that it will be inside the trailer with me? And I want to integrate into my house trying to make it off grid hybrid. California now wants to charge us an extra $40 for the privilege of being on there system. And we have a minimum power fee of $40 so if you own grid tied system you will pay $80 every month. So $960 a year in in less that 6 years would pay for off grid system. I could have it outside but more of a hassle

Back