diy solar

diy solar

High pitch noise on Reliable 12V 3000W inverter

napstaenergy

I have two 12v 1260W Battery packs. I connected one to a Reliable 12v 3000W Pure Sine Wave Reliable Inverter. When I power the Inverter on, it makes
a very high pitch noise. The Red light stays on steady. The green light is on, the voltage is displayed but not AC power and the high pitch noise does
not go away. The Battery pack has 16.68V on the display. I put my two batteries in Series to produce 32v and used a DC-DC Step down converter to
provide 12v to the Inverter but the noise remained the same. What I am doing wrong? Need help. Thanks.

I think you have a situation most of us are not familiar with.

What battery are you using to have that high of voltage?
My suspicion would be that it has something to do with the DC-DC converter and would recommend only hooking 1 battery to the inverter as a test .... but I think the max voltage on that inverter is 15V.

Based on your 16.68volt battery voltage, you might have a 4 series Lipo battery. A typical 12v inverter might run at a max voltage of 16v or so. I tried to use a 4 series Lipo in a test and I had to avoid fully charging it. If I kept the voltage down to under 16v, or 16.5v (I don't recall exactly) it would work. If you have a way to drain the battery down a little, do that and try again.

My suspicion would be that it has something to do with the DC-DC converter and would recommend only hooking 1 battery to the inverter as a test .... but I think the max voltage on that inverter is 15V.
Thanks very much for your response. I first tried the 1 battery on the inverter and it immediately started the noise. The battery is charged to 16.68. The reason I tried the two batteries was to put the two batteries in a series and step down to 12v for testing but it did not work. I will try DThames' suggestion to drain the battery to 16v and try it again. Unfortunately, I have already returned the inverter to Amazon. I will have to purchase the same brand or any brand that anyone can recommend. Thanks everyone for your help. I am new into this and I very impressed with group of great people on this forum helping each other. Grateful.

With it being a 12 inverter, you cannot put batteries in series to make 24-36-48 volts. It will not work with a 12 volt inverter.

Based on your 16.68volt battery voltage, you might have a 4 series Lipo battery. A typical 12v inverter might run at a max voltage of 16v or so. I tried to use a 4 series Lipo in a test and I had to avoid fully charging it. If I kept the voltage down to under 16v, or 16.5v (I don't recall exactly) it would work. If you have a way to drain the battery down a little, do that and try again.
Thanks very much for your response. I am using 18650 Li-ion, mixed, recycled batteries as I am new to this. Here is the image of my battery configuration. Thanks very much for your suggestion. I will have to wait until I get a new inverter to continue with the test.

Attachments

• 16v 4s.PNG
    16v 4s.PNG
    779.7 KB · Views: 3
With it being a 12 inverter, you cannot put batteries in series to make 24-36-48 volts. It will not work with a 12 volt inverter.
Thanks, I realized that after my test. Unfortunately, I have returned the inverter. I am shopping for a new one so I can continue
with my test. I do not want to take my two packs apart to rebuild them so I will continue with the test. What inverter have you be successful with?
Thanks again.

I have 2-4000 watt 24 volt Giandels. They have been work horses.

When you look at inverters, look at the max input voltage. You will need to set your battery charger to never go above that max voltage or the inverter will not work....will beep at you.

When you look at inverters, look at the max input voltage. You will need to set your battery charger to never go above that max voltage or the inverter will not work....will beep at you.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I am learning from you guys.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I am learning from you guys.

I am currently discharging the Battery to 16v, waiting until I receive a new inverter. Thanks.

Did you measure the output of the DC-DC converter with a DVM?

Did you build the battery?
Yes, I did. This is my very first build. I got excited and built the second one from my left over batteries. My next one will have to be
LifePO4 for safety purposes. Thanks for all your help.
What would you recommend for a good Inverter?

Back