diy solar

diy solar

High power 24/12 converters

willo

Solar Enthusiast
I've been using Victron 24/12 converters pretty happily in both my systems.
However, on my boat I've noticed an interesting squealing sound from the converter that's created when my fridge compressor kicks on.
The compressor is a danfoss type but it is at least a decade old.
This is the style I'm using now - it has an air cooling fan inside:
1647529012323.png
Oddly, the last one I got came with finger nuts instead of normal nuts. I had to go buy some.

I've pondered buying *another* converter just to get a fully waterproof version. This led me to some interesting discoveries.
The victron version:
1647529155141.png
Cllena brand:
1647529127129.png
And a uxcell brand, 60a:
1647529229174.png

I was shopping for something else today and also noticed the product looked the same from many different manufacturers except for the color scheme and the manufacture’s logo. I see for different things on AliBaba if I order enough of a product, I get my color scheme and logo. I’ve never ordered dozens of anything there so have not done this yet.

I have the 70 amp Orion one you mentioned. I did not like the finger nuts either. I also did not like the contact area was a nut, post, and then the finger not. No copper Or busbar. I also diid not like the manual that was about 3 inches by six inches with a single sided page. I expected more data form them.

For other VIctron you pictured, I had not seen that until last week, so I wonder if its a new offering or if I just missed it. I would also like to see some sort of plastic insulation betweed each of the three posts.

Does anyone else find it weird that the 12v and the 24v both connect to the same NEG terminal on the battery? Just makes my brain scratch...

That's common, and considered to be a "common". lol
I guess it just comes from spending too much time on ship electrical where we have 440v, 220v, and 24v and none of them share anything electrically. In my mind I think I'd want a 24v+, 24v-, 12v+ and 12v- out of my converters.

Yeah, I'm weird. :)

Does anyone else find it weird that the 12v and the 24v both connect to the same NEG terminal on the battery? Just makes my brain scratch...
That's common, and considered to be a "common". lol
Although common, I used thicker gauge wires for a longer run, and stacking two different lugs on one negative terminal did not fit, so ended up putting both wires into one lug.

A lot of these converters are used in mobile applications. Where both systems are negatively connected to the chasis.
And yes, the conductor should be sized to carry both systems current simultaneously.

Back