diy solar

diy solar

HIgh voltage alarm - victron products

Another question, Bulk and Absorption are considered the same. But why does this MPPT have 3 separate lamps then? One for bulk, absorption and float. When at bulk, most of the time voltage seem to be correct. Then when alarms comes, it generally did most of the charging needed. Could it be that it is a high voltage due to battery being full and that I at that time don't get any amps anyway? I guess high voltage with low amp still can overcharge battery
Because bulk and absorption aren't the same thing at all.

Yours may be set to the same voltage, but they have different functions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210926-091702_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210926-091702_Chrome.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 3
Because bulk and absorption aren't the same thing at all.

Yours may be set to the same voltage, but they have different functions.

No questions about the three stages being different. I was more wondering why I cannot set the bulk charge voltage setting and only absorption. I have never seen alarms during charge of battery (being well below full).

Maybe I should use tail instead of fixed absoption time? I changed to 15 minutes instead of 2 hours some week ago. Not sure how I would compensate with tail instead or how to think when doing it.

I checked system again after my load had been applied for some time. At 28V it now read 28.4 with load using a voltage meter. I then turned off 95% of the load and the voltage went up to over 30V again.

I found one other person globally having this issue and he changed to 28 which fixed the issue with alarms. Although, it did not fix the real issue I guess.

Voltage spiking when a load drops is normal but it should come back down.

It makes me wonder if settings have been messed with to cause it.

Can you save your current settings then switch to a default battery profile and see if it still goes up to 30?

I set it back to standard factory for LifePo4 a number of times. This issue always comes back. Issues came before I started messing around with absorption duration time and re-bulk voltage offset.

I agree that voltages could be higher for a small amount of time but my average alarm is about 2-3 hours. I goes away when the sun does (if I am not at home applying loads)

I now got a new alarm. probably because I drained the battery a little and then charged it up and came to the same situation as earlier. Output voltage set to 28. Voltage meter shows med 30.1. Battery is considered full.

BMS tells med 29.5 and it also tells me 0.0A towards battery.

VRM shows this

1632667450560.png

I also tested using another voltage meter. Both my manual voltage meters show 30.0V

Hmm...maybe I should break the connection between these victron units. Maybe it is a combination of that Victron Inverter and Victron SmartShunt informs the VIctron MPPT about loads, hence the MPPT adjusts abnormally. Will try to break the the internal network for the to see if any changes

Hmm...maybe I should break the connection between these victron units. Maybe it is a combination of that Victron Inverter and Victron SmartShunt informs the VIctron MPPT about loads, hence the MPPT adjusts abnormally. Will try to break the the internal network for the to see if any changes
That would be odd if so.

But I'd like to know as I'm using a 75/15 and a smartshunt myself

That would be odd if so.

But I'd like to know as I'm using a 75/15 and a smartshunt myself
Not able to. I cannot get BT connection with MPPT as it says connected to other device. Tried logging out of VRM and also disconnecting my Raspberry PI that is connected via USB to all my three Victron devices. Seem that a reset of the MPPT is needed.

In my opinion, quality products requiring restarts every now and then are usually not quality products. I don't think the hardware and software guys had a lot of meetings when developing Victrons MPPT

I need to check if I accidently changed my Lifepo4 factory default settings. I don't remember the float to be at 27V.

Do you have the settings from yours?

Absorption time seems to be default at 2 hr. Re-bilk voltage offset seem to be 0.2. No equalization. No temp compensation. Low temp cut off at 5 degree c

A short comment here. Now my MPPT is in bulk charging mode at 28.9V. That is after I set absoption to 27.4.

So the question is really, why do I think the bulk would react from the absorption setting? I cannot set bulk voltage anywhere and according to history, the mppt is mostly in bulk mode. (and also while alarm sets off).

If I cannot set bulk voltage anywhere I guess me changing settings for absoptiondoes not matter.

IT could be useful to provide a diagram showing how everything is connected.
If I cannot set bulk voltage anywhere I guess me changing settings for absoptiondoes not matter.
With Victron chargers you can set the following values that determine the charge process.

Absorption voltage, this is the target voltage that the charger uses to identify the end of the bulk stage of charging, whatever current is available from the charger is put into the battery during the bulk stage.
Absorption period, for this time the charger attempts to hold the voltage constant at the absorption voltage.
Float voltage
, at the end of the absorption period the controller sets the output voltage to float voltage.
Re Bulk Offset, this is set slightly below float voltage and if the battery volts fall below this value the controller re-enters the bulk stage. ( need to be in expert mode to set this)

I suggest you disable the Victron shunt (disconnect the positive feed from the battery) if the system is using its readings to set charger voltages. There have been issues associated with the inline fuse and holder.

Mike

I have not disconnected the pos cable yet but I accessed the shunt and disabled the ve network. Currently mppt volage towards battery is 29,4 v

I have not disconnected the pos cable yet but I accessed the shunt and disabled the ve network. Currently mppt volage towards battery is 29,4 v
I removed the positive Shunt cable to battery. No new alarms yet. Output towards battery is a bit higher than the mppt tells me but nowhere near 30 v.

Back