diy solar

diy solar

High Voltage DC battery.

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
SMA has a high voltage inverter and there are many "Industrial" inverters that do high voltage DC batteries.

Just like any professional racing, and advanced space flight. The things that those industries use and have someday filter their way down to us mere mortals.

Now is the time for you to start asking every brand supplier of PV/Battery inverter to offer a high voltage battery connect.

Just like solar PV offers 500,600, 1000 and even 1500V DC strings, why can't they make the battery connection high voltage also?

Most of us are able to get a sub $100 per kWh batteries. That means we are getting more and more of them. Jack Rickard (evtv) realized that even as good as 48V DC is, it is still a massive limitation when you get to the 100 kWh range.

It's a matter of efficiency, much less amperage, smaller cables (saving weight and copper resources) and even easy of configuration and installation.

Well, it is all limited by NEC. The gods of NEC have willed that we humans may not utilize a battery larger than 48V. Who are we to question the gods?
SMA already has a 550V setup!

And for "Large Scale" they have 1000V, and 1500V systems.

I say we are in the beginnings of battery spreading, much like the '70s, 80s, and 90s were with computers. Back then things were in Hertz, then KiloHertz, then MegaHertz... I see the same thing happening now with batteries, Wh to kWh, to mWh!

I say in 5 years we will be able to have a megaWatt-hour of battery in our garage! (Of course, I'll need a gWh by then). ✊?

Last edited:
SMA already has a 550V setup!
You know, looking at this link, it appears primarily to be a simple ad with no real specifications given. Some of the units appear to be professionally engineered units, not consumer products? The one system I know you can buy that provides some specs is the Sunny Island 4548-US / 6048-US and that system is 48V? So, I'm not seeing this? Could the 550V spec be referring to the max solar input voltage, not the battery voltage?

Last edited:
Back