diy solar

diy solar

High voltage DC switches / relays

firewick

Hello again, I searched through the forum and could not find any info on high voltage DC switches (100V to 400V). If anyone could help or maybe point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I am currently looking for switches or relays to handle between 100V and 200VDC, but maybe higher in the future. Right now, up to 200VDC would be fine, under 20A. I can not find any on the interwebs so I was hoping someone in here may have experience with it? I figured even though it may be rare, there has to be something out there.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

How about this one? I just Google 'high Voltage DC switch'

How about this one? I just Google 'high Voltage DC switch'
Yes, thank you. I too have found a couple like that, and some DC breakers which could be used as switches too. I was just hoping someone might know of more options, especially with relays, and maybe some less expensive options...

What price range are we talking about?
As inexpensive as possible. $20 isn’t too bad, but $50 and up is just too much. That site you shared actually has a few in the $20 to $30 range that aren’t too bad. Up to 800VDC, 16A, 2 pole for $26. I searched quite a bit and was unable to find anything like that. I think because I searched for switches instead of disconnects maybe? So thank you for sharing it. I would still like to find something even less expensive though. I figured for a mass produced switch I’d be able to find them for under $20? But like I said, $26 is close enough if that’s the worst case.

I am still looking for relays as well. I am looking to have some PV arrays automatically switch to different loads.

Well, yet again I found everything. I have searched for this stuff for months and found nothing.now I take a few minutes and more than enough information is popping up. I just found high voltage DC relays for under $10 each on eBay.

SSR.
You need to find out what the power dissipation is at full 25A and if it will need heatsink of not to keep it cool, the input and output are also polarity sensitive.
I found the spec sheet, see heat sink info.

Last edited:
Automotive relays for up to 40A are very common and only a few dollars a pieces. But they typically have a max switching voltage of only 30V, likely will work OK for single panel of up to 40V or so as current won’t be high. Have you considered those? Or do you really need ones rated for much higher voltage?

Back