diy solar

diy solar

High Voltage Inverter

Why pay and install an Orion BMS when you can use the Tesla BMS?
The tesla BMS, the charger and the DC DC converter. You need this to control the tesla M3 battery: https://ingenext.ca/pages/motor-battery-controller
I do not have the charger, DC-DC converter and the Tesla BMS units I had were damaged. Plus I want a bit more control when it comes to charging protocols, diagnostics, and data from the time of use.

I do not have the charger, DC-DC converter and the Tesla BMS units I had were damaged. Plus I want a bit more control when it comes to charging protocols, diagnostics, and data from the time of use.
Thought you may be interested in this. GCE on Alibaba has UPS controllers. Some use them for high voltage batteries to make them safe. Has BMS, Main breaker, Fast acting short circuit trip and more. For a fee they will take your protocol and change their protocol to match so your inverter will be compatible. See my picture of my battery rack to view. Haven't used mine yet so I can't tell you if it works.

Has anyone else found any more High Voltage inverters? Does anyone have a Deye unit in the US? It seems the Deye units have US settings, but would be curious to see if anyone has confirmed this.

Has anyone else found any more High Voltage inverters? Does anyone have a Deye unit in the US? It seems the Deye units have US settings, but would be curious to see if anyone has confirmed this.
You will find a few off grid applications only as Deye is a single phase inverter and not UL therefore it is not allowed to be connected to the grid in the USA.

You will find a few off grid applications only as Deye is a single phase inverter and not UL therefore it is not allowed to be connected to the grid in the USA.
That was my question whether it was UL rated. Bummer. My friend over seas, his us purring like a kitten with a breeze! I'd be curious, as I'm seeing more High Voltage inverters come to market, which brands will come through to the US.

Actually, there are plenty of split-phase Deye units in operation in the US.
The agreement with Sol-Ark to be the only Deye split-phase distributor is only about a year old.

That was my question whether it was UL rated. Bummer. My friend over seas, his us purring like a kitten with a breeze! I'd be curious, as I'm seeing more High Voltage inverters come to market, which brands will come through to the US.
There are more brands, but the market is moving to closed paired systems, meaning battery and inverter are from the same manufacture

The Solis S6 is currently being advertised ( online retailers ) as being available in August 2023, and with many of the features to be released later. If Solis does get everything working, it will be the Sol-Ark of HV ( no fans as a bonus ), but will need to see installations in the 100's to get the quality to where I would purchase one.

There’s a lot of battery stuff coming to US this year. Are you on Renvu’s mailing list? They spam me with like two video seminar invites on this per month. That’s where I learned about solis

There are more brands, but the market is moving to closed paired systems, meaning battery and inverter are from the same manufacture
I think this is still an open question. There are quite a few companies doing this, but also still a few doing open-ish partnerships to get the paired 9540 listing across companies. Though that may only be in 48V segment.

Has anyone else found any more High Voltage inverters?

Seen this a few weeks ago, https://www.youtube.com/@mikeg2321/videos. It's a 19.5 kW solar array, 72kW of batteries (DIY), Sandi off grid 25kW inverter (240 volt dc input) and 26kW charge controller (240v 100 amp). He says UL listed, passed local codes and currently running with DIY batteries. Very interesting setup, inverter wired so will not export to grid, but can use grid to assist powering his home if not enough solar or battery power. He has made a contact point with Sandi sales that will help you design your system. They have brokers in place to handle the purchasing of inverters, including shipping arrangements and import fees. You pay a single price and it will be delivered to your home. Mike mentioned his complete system was around $35,000. Doing the things he was qualified to do, but also hired a professional electrician to complete the wire hookups. I believe this was needed to pass local inspection codes. Don't recall exact location, but his setup is in the USA.

One unique feature was, Sandi sold him a package of controller boards for repairing said inverter. No idea about customer support. Note, Mike G. says he spent 4 years designing and purchasing equipment like transfer switches and shut off switching to handle high voltages. Some of the equipment would have been very expensive, but he waited for deals to appear and made good purchases.

Also look at https://store.evtv.me/ to see the equipment EVTV MOTOR VERKS made for connecting a COMPLETE high voltage battery pack from a Tesla to work with a Sandi off grid inverter. EVTV had their Sandi inverter slightly modified to also control Enphase Micro Inverters (reduce output when batteries are fully charged).

Only read about the above setups, no first hand knowledge of its design capabilities.

So I have an interesting setup I am wanting to curate.

I recently picked up a few Tesla Model 3 Battery Packs consisting of 21700's cells, 355V nominal, 403V max with 78kwh capacity. These batteries are extremely sought after and I got an extremely cheap deal
I would sell the batteries and build a 48v system with LiFePo4 server rack batteries. Much simpler, safer and longer cycle life.

Guess i never saw this thread the first time around. I dont think I would have said this in December anyway, but ive learned a lot since then.

If i had a 400v battery pack right now, i could hook it to my existing inverters, right now. Just like Yabert said (and noone responded to) i could just hook it to my MPPT input and it would work.

Main drawback is i would have to implement an external charging scheme, just like EVERYONE used to do before all-in-ones became common. If i needed to keep a small 48v battery attached to mitigate some weirdness of operating in ‘batteryless’ fashion, i would do so.

So knowing what i know now, it seems like the main difficulty is not building something that works, it’s buying something that will pass inspections.

Main drawback is i would have to implement an external charging scheme, just like EVERYONE used to do before all-in-ones became common.
Haha! I never thought at this one. Good idea.
For sure it's better to find an inverter who can work batteryless.
Or another option could be to adjust inverter battery charge setting at a voltage (let say 40V) to be sure it will never output amps from the 400V battery to charge the 48V battery.
Still, during experimental test it could be surprising to see how react the inverter and the DC-DC connected on the same 48V battery.

I was just referring to charging of the high voltage pack itself. with the inverters I have I can set a charge current limit from Solar or from all sources so if I didn’t want my high voltage pack charging my lower voltage pack I would just turn that thing way down.

My Deye inverter does 400VDC input, and 400VAC output. (3 phase, EU). ;-)
Having that said, it does also output 150 - 700VDC @MAX 20kW for a battery.

Last edited:
Back