diy solar

diy solar

High Voltage Inverter

DYI battery's with a permit required locations ( most of the US now ) are in the rear view mirror.

Solis 5G and the Goodwe A-ES series are the ONLY high voltage UL9540 certified options I know of. There are other options like Tesla, Enphase and Generac but they are are ALL closed systems, meaning they support only there single battery option from the manufacture of the inverter.

The idea of using a ternary battery ( most repurposed EV modules ) is a huge fire risk, and most UL9540 systems use Lifep04, for sure no one will ever get a permit using EV modules the USA
Would there be a way to have the permitted installation not include the battery itself and set up the system for the battery hook-up? Get it approved then after it's closed out, add the battery to the system.

DYI battery's with a permit required locations ( most of the US now ) are in the rear view mirror.

Solis 5G and the Goodwe A-ES series are the ONLY high voltage UL9540 certified options I know of. There are other options like Tesla, Enphase and Generac but they are are ALL closed systems, meaning they support only there single battery option from the manufacture of the inverter.

The idea of using a ternary battery ( most repurposed EV modules ) is a huge fire risk, and most UL9540 systems use Lifep04, for sure no one will ever get a permit using EV modules the USA
The Solid 5G series doesn't allow for a battery input from their data sheets though? The Goodwe A-ES series does allow for battery input. This is only from a quick search thus far.

The Solid 5G series doesn't allow for a battery input from their data sheets though? The Goodwe A-ES series does allow for battery input. This is only from a quick search thus far.

Solis has user defined mode, all that you have to design for is to not exceed is maximum/minimum voltage and currents, but that would not be a UL9540 solution. Solis discourages the use of this, but if your controlling by voltage for charge / discharge it does function. Also one can emulate one of the BMS CAN protocols and do a make your own if you have the software/hardware skills.

There are only 2 UL9540 options for the Solis 5G are BYD and LG, but it supports many others like the Pylontech Force H1, but this and other manufactures supported did not get UL9540 due to the costs involved.

FYI the Pylontech Force H1 and Soluna are what the Solis S6 will be launched supporting with UL9540A, or so is the plan. BYD with the newer HVL battery decided it was not worth the expense to get UL9540A for the S6 based on actual investment on the 5G sales.

Here is the full list

1-24-2023 11-01-02 AM.png

Would there be a way to have the permitted installation not include the battery itself and set up the system for the battery hook-up? Get it approved then after it's closed out, add the battery to the system.

Sure, install as gridtie with a UL1741SA inverter that supports storage which the two I mentioned are, get all signed off with permits and electric provider approval and later add storage, but then the system isn't legal from the building departments view. I would hazard a guess this is what most DYI installs do

Sure, install as gridtie with a UL1741SA inverter that supports storage which the two I mentioned are, get all signed off with permits and electric provider approval and later add storage, but then the system isn't legal from the building departments view. I would hazard a guess this is what most DYI installs do
That was my intention to do and take the correct precautions when prepping the solar room to allow for a worst-case scenario with a battery run away. Between the 2 units, the Solis 5G and the Goodwe A-ES series, which is superior, or the pros and cons between each? I haven't heard much about it either. Any suppliers that are good with communications and feedback?

That was my intention to do and take the correct precautions when prepping the solar room to allow for a worst-case scenario with a battery run away. Between the 2 units, the Solis 5G and the Goodwe A-ES series, which is superior, or the pros and cons between each? I haven't heard much about it either. Any suppliers that are good with communications and feedback?

I own a pair of the Solis 5G ( 6kw ) you also need the auto transformer for 240V

The links are whom I purchased from 2+ years ago

I only know of the GoodWe A-ES from reading data sheets also needs the auto transformer

The Solis is 6kw backup maximum for all 5G models where the Goodwe has units a model up to 9.6kw. The Solis has 5kw - 10kw for the gridtie port, that is the only difference between the models

Be warned the 5G is being discontinued sometime this year, once the S6 is actually shipping.

The advantage of the 5G is its be out for 3 years is somewhat mature product, The S6 is vaporware and vaper options until is actually shipping and without serious bugs, based on my experience with the Solis 5G product, that won't be a 2023 time frame.

Just a few observations that might be helpful. They for sure need a battery to operate correctly. When I first finished the installation and was testing the inverter it would freeze up after a period of time if I did not use the correct startup procedure. Which for me was battery, grid, then pv. If I started with grid it would randomly freeze after a period of time. It would also freeze if I had a changed a few select setting's and did not power completely down and did the correct startup procedure. Did you ever install a battery? Looking at your photo it looks like you have a battery breaker installed. Once I had it dialed in I haven't had to restart or even look at the inverter's for almost a year now. Also I know in talking with Megarevo they never intended to run them in parallel. So not sure why Bluesun would have said that. They did eventually update the 48v version for this feature but that was the only one. For me I have one set up in grid tie only and the other as an eps. Both have access to the battery bank so my large 240 loads can run off the battery with net zero export.
Thanks for sharing this information. It is a little reassuring to see it will operate. Also having someone to now communicate with. One thing, I wonder how Megarveo was given UL certification when they only have one CT for 240 V installation? US standard is 120/240 V split phase.

Attachments

• Photos-001.zip UL.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
This seems to be a clean install. That is also quite the opposite of what I had heard about these inverters as I am using the Model 3 Tesla battery packs as my battery bank. These batteries have a nominal voltage of 355V with the max being 400V. I have an absolute steal with 1 completely healthy pack and possibly an additional healthy pack that I am testing now so the need for an HV split phase hybrid inverter is a must and seems to have these units in the running. These concerns are not surprising, but also disappointing. I would hope others with these units could chime in on their take as well.
Am I understanding correctly from your previous posts that you are having problems locating a Megarevo inverter?

Am I understanding correctly from your previous posts that you are having problems locating a Megarevo inverter?
No. I found a few suppliers, but not sure their customer service is up to par honestly. I mean do you have a supplier here in the US? I've looked at and discussed a few from Alibaba, but we all know those websites. Plus, if these GoodWe A-ES is something comparable and can pass inspection without fuss, I may go after that unit rather than the Megarevo Unit.

Solis S6 isn't a product one can buy today, the Solis 5G is available and my pair hardware wise have been flawless, software has taken most of that time to get reasonably useful, mostly due to the small volume of units sold and your typical differences in philosophy ( China ) of what field testing should be before products are released. Its running with a 400V BYD Battery Box HV, now discontinued.

Then there is the issue these are UL9540A units and your stuck with using what is actually made it through certification, which may not be batteries your interested in using.

High Voltage is nice, small wires, BMS interaction that takes care of SOC and running automatic discharge to keep SOC calibrated, but it is a very very small market, and I'm not sure if it will ever be a solution for the DYI installation market.

No. I found a few suppliers, but not sure their customer service is up to par honestly. I mean do you have a supplier here in the US? I've looked at and discussed a few from Alibaba, but we all know those websites. Plus, if these GoodWe A-ES is something comparable and can pass inspection without fuss, I may go after that unit rather than the Megarevo Unit.
Ok, I was just fishing, thought Megarevo may have taken that model off the market. Not real familiar with GoodWe. Is that what GE uses, or is that a GE inverter?

Signature Solar is marketing a Megarevo 8k 48V copy. You may be interested Will Prouse on YouTube tested it.

Signature Solar is marketing a Megarevo 8k 48V copy. You may be interested Will Prouse on YouTube tested it.
Yes. I am aware of that version, but I am interested in the HV Megarevo unit. I have also watched his YouTube video on this matter and it didn't do much for the investigation of this unit.

Just a few observations that might be helpful. They for sure need a battery to operate correctly. When I first finished the installation and was testing the inverter it would freeze up after a period of time if I did not use the correct startup procedure. Which for me was battery, grid, then pv. If I started with grid it would randomly freeze after a period of time. It would also freeze if I had a changed a few select setting's and did not power completely down and did the correct startup procedure. Did you ever install a battery? Looking at your photo it looks like you have a battery breaker installed. Once I had it dialed in I haven't had to restart or even look at the inverter's for almost a year now. Also I know in talking with Megarevo they never intended to run them in parallel. So not sure why Bluesun would have said that. They did eventually update the 48v version for this feature but that was the only one. For me I have one set up in grid tie only and the other as an eps. Both have access to the battery bank so my large 240 loads can run off the battery with net zero export.
I have everything ready for battery, but no battery. I've put a significant amount of labor, investment, and thought into this. I am a retired electrician/contractor, I should know everything about code, not so especially with so many changes to NEC PV articles. I involved our state (Mi) electrical inspector, and I am under rules of NEC 2017. With the inspector looking over my shoulder he oaked me making my own HV battery assembly. I found a source for a UPS management system. Quite impressive, provides individual cell management, class T current limiting, main breaker, information protocol, plus more. Got a communication rack that locks and shields all open electrical. Also I got an ok on Megarevo UL labeling. I plan on using 280 AH prismatic cells, total of 120 cells in all. 60 groups of 2 cells paralleled. A rather large battery and cost somewhere around $15000. Here's the picture.

Attachments

• Photos-001.zip Battery.zip
    12.8 MB · Views: 29
I think if a (high current) bypass diode was placed across each server rack battery, it would never see a voltage it couldn't handle.
If it disconnects, instead of the rest of the batteries driving it to a high negative voltage, that would clip at a diode drop. Just like bypass diodes in PV panels.
Do you have a specific product in mind for the High current bypass diodes?

I have everything ready for battery, but no battery. I've put a significant amount of labor, investment, and thought into this. I am a retired electrician/contractor, I should know everything about code, not so especially with so many changes to NEC PV articles. I involved our state (Mi) electrical inspector, and I am under rules of NEC 2017. With the inspector looking over my shoulder he oaked me making my own HV battery assembly. I found a source for a UPS management system. Quite impressive, provides individual cell management, class T current limiting, main breaker, information protocol, plus more. Got a communication rack that locks and shields all open electrical. Also I got an ok on Megarevo UL labeling. I plan on using 280 AH prismatic cells, total of 120 cells in all. 60 groups of 2 cells paralleled. A rather large battery and cost somewhere around $15000. Here's the picture.
So the photos you sent are the batteries you bought rather than building your own? That's great news to hear about the Megarevo unit as I am your neighbor from the south (IN), rather close to the boarder as well. Who was your supplier for the Megarevo and what unit did you end up going with?

So the photos you sent are the batteries you bought rather than building your own? That's great news to hear about the Megarevo unit as I am your neighbor from the south (IN), rather close to the boarder as well. Who was your supplier for the Megarevo and what unit did you end up going with?
The pictures you are viewing is my battery rack and a UPS battery controller Less Batteries. Rack I found on craigslist, battery shelves I fabricated, UPS controller I bought, wire connectors and wire I bought separately. I'm holding back buying batteries until I make a decision on these Megarevo inverters. See if I can make them work, throw them away, or find another brand that will work. I bought my inverters from BlueSun Solar. I suggest not buying inverters or anything else from them. Me I live in UP of Mi. So we have similar inverter goals. It's nice to have you, Solar Guppy, and Sunny Boy 1 to share information. Keep in mind my electrical permit and installation is based on NEC 2017 code. NEC 2020 code is much different.

The pictures you are viewing is my battery rack and a UPS battery controller Less Batteries. Rack I found on craigslist, battery shelves I fabricated, UPS controller I bought, wire connectors and wire I bought separately. I'm holding back buying batteries until I make a decision on these Megarevo inverters. See if I can make them work, throw them away, or find another brand that will work. I bought my inverters from BlueSun Solar. I suggest not buying inverters or anything else from them. Me I live in UP of Mi. So we have similar inverter goals. It's nice to have you, Solar Guppy, and Sunny Boy 1 to share information. Keep in mind my electrical permit and installation is based on NEC 2017 code. NEC 2020 code is much different.
Very cool. Definitely a diy approach in all of those. Do you have a wiring diagram of your setup? Also, what difference do you seen between the 2 codes that will affect the solar portion of it. I’m not sure what we are here in north east Indiana.

Very cool. Definitely a diy approach in all of those. Do you have a wiring diagram of your setup? Also, what difference do you seen between the 2 codes that will affect the solar portion of it. I’m not sure what we are here in north east Indiana.
Sure I can do that.

Back