diy solar

diy solar

Higher power 12V range hood fan

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
Not sure if I should post here or here: https://diysolarforum.com/forums/vehicle-mounted-systems.7/

My camper range hood fan works; it works fine- not great. I’d like to merely replace the motor with something a little bit stronger but in looking on Amazon the price varies but appearance and specs are about the same. I have no reason to say it’s going to fail anytime soon but I’d like to replace the motor with more CFM.

Current motor specs / fan CFM are unknowable but looks just like all the make believe brand names on eBay and amerzon at $12-20, sometime.

Is anyone aware of a upgrade motor/fan available to bolt in that is stronger/higher power/more CFM? I don’t want to just replace I want to upgrade CFM.
Place to look?

So no RV people have any experience with this $45 fan motor or that $15 fan motor or another fan motor at $66 that is better than any another?

Any help here?

Years ago I replaced a camper RV range hood fan motor with an “upgrade” motor from a dealer catalogue but the dealers I stopped at this week only have the same appearance fans as the Amazon $15 units and price at $45

12 volt vent fans is a pretty specialized deal. I imagine the RV crowd will not get into this level of detail. And the industrial supply places that will have published specs don’t deal in 12 volt much. Best I can think is get a bigger 12 volt motor that will fit your fan. Or double vent fans=double cfm.

12 volt vent fans is a pretty specialized deal
I have thought about hacking and fabbing.

12V Range Hoods are not uncommon, though - for the couple decades I know about 12V RV hood fans were the most common oem install. There’s literally dozens of different ’brands’ of cheap replacements on Amazon but no upgrade units that I could see- just different prices.

just look for the biggest cfm you can find in that fan size and swap it.
It probably is just your standard computer case fan 120/140mm probably something sealed though.
I've never dug into mine so I don't know. but if I need to, that is the direction I would go.

just look for the biggest cfm you can find in that fan size and swap it.
It probably is just your standard computer case fan 120/140mm probably something sealed though.
I've never dug into mine so I don't know. but if I need to, that is the direction I would go.
No. These rv range hoods predate desktop computers by probably 20- or 30 years.

I had a 1957 Forester with a range hood motor that looked essentially the same including screw pattern as campers I’ve worked in from the 70s, 80s, 90s…to today.

They are commodity, just like residential bathroom fans for probably 40 years used basically only three motors; plumbing and electrical houses essentially had each in stock (back when people used to fix things). Hotel maintenance staff always kept them on hand. Or household stove burners and pans- 4 or 5 part numbers in a few sizes covered 95% of applications.

Some things used to be parts-bin sourced- made them inexpensive to produce and repairs weren’t unicorn hunts.

These are two varieties found in nearly all powered roof vents and range exhaust fan hoods. Just need a higher amp motor because the fan blades are doing everything they can do in that size.

I may have to resort to making a shroud for the blade and changing the exit louvres. The range hood housings are very inefficient and I’d guess 50% or more of air moved by the fan bleeds off the blades and escapes through the +/- 1” between the tips and the housing, especially as most internal cavities of these are square not round.

89744447-AF75-4261-9327-501B69831AB1.png

Attachments

• C763904E-824C-4599-82EB-DA80C2D904D8.png
    C763904E-824C-4599-82EB-DA80C2D904D8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I've been considering using something like this on my trailer. I couldn't really find many high flow DC fans, other than bilge blowers. There's quite a few choices in 12v DC for those.

NovelBee 12V 270CFM Electric 4" in-Line Marine Bilge Air Blower with Six Blade Fan Maximize Air Flow and Efficiency https://a.co/d/cXaZaVB

Take a look at what are called "bilge blowers".
These are small high powered 12v fans that fit into a 100mm plastic pipe.
They are used mainly in boats to ventilate engine spaces and toilets.
Leave the existing fan in your range hood, and fit one of these to the exit duct.
It will increase airflow by multiples without the need to molest your range hood.
This is the type of thing to look for:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/192961323914?epid=1267724711&hash=item2ced64238a:g:kT8AAOSwbqpT4ZpQ

Ah, Mr Justice, you beat me to the draw.

Back