diy solar

diy solar

Hightech solar panels

oldcat

Will have you or any body else used or tested the Hightec solar panels..

Last edited:
Little late but the HighTec panels were brought into the shop I work at by a part time installer and turned into our best sellers out the door and to install on rigs due to size VS watt ratio. So the pros: a 180W panel and the 200W are both 9 amp panels that are actually real world 9 amp panels. The 180W is 18.1v Short circuit and 200 21.5ish at the same physical size. Which is the draw here the size, those things would fit where all our other 12v panels over 140W wouldn't.

Now the downsides: Every crate had one shattered panel in it and/or 1 non-working panel. I also wonder about their ability to keep moisture out long-term. But HighTech was just "keep the panels replacements will be in the need shipment" which they were.

So there you go.

Will have you or any body else used or tested the Hightec solar panels..

Since May 2019, I have been running a pair of the 200W with 39x39" square frames. The packaging was minimally adequate, but both panels were okay and tested well. I got the squared ones because they fit my van roof. I still have room for one more to give 600W. I reviewed Will's reports on 100W panels. 100W panels maxed out the roof at 500W with 5 panels and much more hardware. You want the most Watts/roof.

With the higher Vmp of around 20, you should plan on using MPPT.

We also have had several Hightech 200W with 39x39" square frames solar panels working on some traffic light areas for the last 2+ years... no issues at all ... they are built bulletproof ... Unlike KCP's note (see above) we have never had a broken one arrive in all the ones that we have obtained ... ON a hge plus side though ... it says 200W but we are getting 208 out of them easily

About watt ratings. I'm pretty sure it applies to all panels. We sell and install Sonali panels also and all of them are scanned individually and a piece of paper is taped to each one, this 200w panel is 205, that one 201, that person has a great personality so he/she is getting the 211 and so on.

Now HighTec- our last crate came in yesterday (first one of the season) and had no broken panels and get this, our CEO talked with the owner and the spec sticker on the panel says HighTec nowhere instead it's our shop name solar panels. $1.50 extra per panel for that service.

now i see people are using the HighTec solar panels.i have not bought none yet ...

Last edited:
Is eBay where people are getting these primarily? I’ve been watching listings by fred480v and am leaning towards the 200W panels. I was intrigued by the square ones but they haven’t been listed for a while. Currently you can get two of the rectangular panels for $320 which seems like a solid deal.

Where are people sourcing these HighTec panels. I can’t find a source except a very poor web site out of Michigan.

Is eBay where people are getting these primarily? I’ve been watching listings by fred480v and am leaning towards the 200W panels. I was intrigued by the square ones but they haven’t been listed for a while. Currently you can get two of the rectangular panels for $320 which seems like a solid deal.

we got most of our panels from Fred480… These things are built like a tank… Every one of them has actually performed higher and better than it’s rated… We use several of the square ones on a lot of our machinery… Once again phenomenally built they will last forever…

I talked to someone their (the owner?) via their Facebook page a while back. The fred480v eBay store is the manufacturer selling the panels directly. He said they're the same modules as the LG NeON2 400 panels, though the final panel's bit less efficient because of the size and busbar configuration. I got the impression the owner's one of those guys who's better at making things than he is at marketing or e-commerce.

I've had 4 mounted on a travel trailer for a few weeks and haven't seen higher than about 400W, but that's with very suboptimal conditions (probably some shading because it's pretty tight up there, right around winter solstice and not very far south, and tilted at different angles due to the roof curve). I'll know more in a few months in terms of output under different conditions and durability.

They definitely seem great, especially for the price. I think Zamp and Grape Solar have been basically stagnant for years in terms of price and efficiency, but RV makers still use them because they're the established brands.

we got most of our panels from Fred480… These things are built like a tank… Every one of them has actually performed higher and better than it’s rated… We use several of the square ones on a lot of our machinery… Once again phenomenally built they will last forever…

Happy to hear you these panels are well-built and giving better than advertised wattage. I just purchased 2 200 w panels. Decided to go with a product made in the USA.

Happy to hear you these panels are well-built and giving better than advertised wattage. I just purchased 2 200 w panels. Decided to go with a product made in the USA.
You won't be disappointed. I recently got 6 of the 200W panels from HighTec. SUPER well-built and great output.

Anyone have the photos of the square ones? As someone mentioned doesnt look like he has them for sale on ebay anymore but may contact to see if he gets anymore in. I would be interested in some.

Check continuous resources. They have pictures.

I'm quite surprised no one else seems to orient the cells in a square.

I ordered 4 last week. The size fits just right on a narrow high top vans roof.

I had heard of a place selling panels less than 20 minutes from me. Didn't know it was them but glad to see positive responses about hightec. I will happy to buy american and locally.

Stopped at hightec solar today and picked up one 200w panel. Jesse gave me a tour and explained the differences between panels. I did see he had a couple of the square ones stored away so they probably still offer them. Very nice group and glad things are being made here in the USA.

Attachments

• 0430201230.jpg
    0430201230.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 0430201230a.jpg
    0430201230a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 22
Hightec is in Michigan City, Indiana. Just do a google search for the link. They also have a eBay site.

Back