diy solar

diy solar

Hijacking Threads

Should Threads Stay on Subject, or at least close to it?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Two options for persistent and collated info :)?️?️
Have used and contributed to resources. Didn't know about the Wiki. I always go to What's New. Thanks for the heads up.

The post above wasn't directed at anyone in particular. No need to remove. I do appreciate the offer, thanks.
I am a member of some real Nazi type moderated forums and they typically end up dying pretty quickly or are just no fun to be on.
This forum has been great in every aspect. The owner Will has done a few things I have never seen on other forums.
They don't lock threads often. The moderators are practically transparent yet show up almost instantly when something goes sideways. They allow people to edit posts indefinitely where as most forums give you about 24 hours and there are some that I am on that lock the edit within 30 minutes.
Other aspects of this place just defy conventional forums by the way the members behave. There is very little personal abuse, almost no political talk and people are generally very civil towards each other.
All in all a little off topic discussion is not really a big deal so long as you get the info you need. I do get your point and I respect it. If someone is asking a question and the post gets derailed before the answers are given I will certainly try my best to interject and put it back on course.

Got me so pissed off I started this thread.
Why so angry? Did you not get the information you were looking for? Were you angry because it was *your* thread?

I view online forums a lot like social hour at a dinner party. People tend to chat in small groups, and the topic will always drift. The fun part is standing on the periphery of two or more groups and participating in all of the discussions. In any case, the topic will always drift when a new person joins a group.

That's how social interaction works. I say something, you say something. If we both say the same thing, we had nothing to talk about.

I recently got a tour of the factory at a large US solar panel manufacturer. I was really surprised at the number of steps it takes to put together a panel since they seem so simple. Here is a photo I took in the grow room where they seed the crystals and grow them into full size panels. These will each become 250W when they are full size. This is amazing stuff!

PXL_20220206_150956656.jpg

Two peanuts walk into a bar...one was a salted.

So I guess it will remain a free for all, leaving those of us that are actually wanting to seek and share knowledge in search of another source.

We’re sure gonna miss ya… ?
Good thread though! :love:

Just curious. Added a simple pole to the thread. At top of page. Votes are private.

As with most polls, the questions are inadequate.
The proper answer would be "not necessarily".

See, a certain amount of "drift" in a forum thread is pretty much inevitable.
You seem to think that if it drifts far enough, there's no way to bring it back on course. I disagree, there are many ways.

Now, "hijacking" implies somewhat malicious intent. But even if innocently done, you seem to think that it precludes meaningful replies to the original question(s). Now, I don't think that's necessarily true. If the discourse hadn't drifted, it would very likely have fizzled.
Meaning, nobody had any more "meaningful" things to say... anyway.

You can always try saying, hey, you peeps, I was trying to get an answer to why CATL cells look prettier in the moonlight than EVE ones, and now you're talking about moon phases, c'mon...
Which might bring about more "on track" replies, probably won't, and there's always things to be learned about moon phases anyway.
-

As with most polls, the questions are inadequate.
The proper answer would be "not necessarily".

See, a certain amount of "drift" in a forum thread is pretty much inevitable.
You seem to think that if it drifts far enough, there's no way to bring it back on course. I disagree, there are many ways.

Now, "hijacking" implies somewhat malicious intent. But even if innocently done, you seem to think that it precludes meaningful replies to the original question(s). Now, I don't think that's necessarily true. If the discourse hadn't drifted, it would very likely have fizzled.
Meaning, nobody had any more "meaningful" things to say... anyway.

You can always try saying, hey, you peeps, I was trying to get an answer to why CATL cells look prettier in the moonlight than EVE ones, and now you're talking about moon phases, c'mon...
Which might bring about more "on track" replies, probably won't, and there's always things to be learned about moon phases anyway.
-
I agree that the word "Hijacking" implies malicious but that's the term that is used.

Back