diy solar

diy solar

Hithium new scam?

albi___

Hi all, today i was looking around on yt, and found a video of a guy with some new cells (its in italian
).
They are the "Hithium 280ah lifepo4", advertised to have 10000 cycles life at 0.5c charge/discharge.

The vendor is "Shenzhen Manyi New Energy Co"on alibaba (https://italian.alibaba.com/p-detai...?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.11.291d3b9c6PdVTr).

After finding it suspicious, since i never heard this brand, and couldnt even find anything on their name online, i looked around more, and a german guy tested them, and found out that those cells are rebranded, with the classic scratches under the qr codes. (
)

My question is, does anyone know if this brand is legit, and if those cells can really get to 10000 cycles at 0.5c?
I find it odd that an unkown brand can pull off better numbers than the top of the line like catl and eve.
Thanks.

Hello,

I ordered 64 of this "Hithium" cells at tewaycell.com and may warn you:

As Example:
  1. The serial numbers do not match the usual manufacturers codes nor production information (e.g. manufacturing dates) and nowhere is written Hithium, the cells are just simple blue.

2. All serial numbers start with 000C-B10C-0000 followed by 00C4-*000-0*** e.g. 00C4-G000-0151 and it is clear visible that a different code was erased by overwriting it with laser engraving a new code (see attached pictures) - left side you may recognize the old code!

3. The Voltage is ~3.25 - 3.29V resistance is between 0,21 and 0.23 mΩ. This seems to be quiet high as I expected ≤ 0,18 mΩ as Hithium is partial owned by CATL (joint venture).

4. The size of the cells is according to the webpage of Hithium, with the difference that they have laser welded M5 studs on it.
    According to my information, Hithium is using an "inner thread" instead of bolts.
    With this "trick" they might cover scratches at the terminal to hide a prior usage!

5. Next point, at the picture you see the plastic is slightly melted - normally bolts are welded on prior the plastic cover is mounted at the terminals.

6. Several of the cells are bloated (swollen) a 4 mm expansion at each side!

7. I just noticed, the height of the cells (without the terminals) does not match the datasheet neither
I paid with Paypal - I hope I may retrieve my money back!

As said - take care and let me know your opinion

Best regards

Jochen

Attachments

• IMG_5724.JPEG
    IMG_5724.JPEG
    240.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5722.JPEG
    IMG_5722.JPEG
    268.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5737.JPEG
    IMG_5737.JPEG
    214.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5727.JPEG
    IMG_5727.JPEG
    267.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5731.JPEG
    IMG_5731.JPEG
    178.7 KB · Views: 12
  • HITHIUM_280Ah_LiFePO4_Cell_Product_Specification.pdf
    707.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5734.JPEG
    IMG_5734.JPEG
    200.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
You don't understand business. :)

Other than those who aren't knowledgeable about batteries buying what's too good to be true, there is also the growing outraged-nerd marketing demographic. (I can safely say this because I am one).

"That can't be true! I better buy some to test!"

Heh, mi$$ion accomplished. :)

Hello,

I ordered 64 of this "Hithium" cells at tewaycell.com and may warn you:

As Example:
  1. The serial numbers do not match the usual manufacturers codes nor production information (e.g. manufacturing dates) and nowhere is written Hithium, the cells are just simple blue.

2. All serial numbers start with 000C-B10C-0000 followed by 00C4-*000-0*** e.g. 00C4-G000-0151 and it is clear visible that a different code was erased by overwriting it with laser engraving a new code (see attached pictures) - left side you may recognize the old code!

3. The Voltage is ~3.25 - 3.29V resistance is between 0,21 and 0.23 mΩ. This seems to be quiet high as I expected ≤ 0,18 mΩ as Hithium is partial owned by CATL (joint venture). Also described in "cdn.shopifycdn.net/s/files/1/0603/8283/8841/files/HITHIUM_280Ah_LiFePO4_Cell_Product_Specification.pdf"

4. The size of the cells is according to the webpage of Hithium, with the difference that they have laser welded M5 studs on it.
    According to my information, Hithium is using an "inner thread" instead of bolts.
    With this "trick" they might cover scratches at the terminal to hide a prior usage!

5. Next point, at the picture you see the plastic is slightly melted - normally bolts are welded on prior the plastic cover is mounted at the terminals.

6. Several of the cells are bloated (swollen) a 4 mm expansion at each side!
I paid with Paypal - I hope I may retrieve my money back!

As said - take care and let me know your opinion

Best regards

Jochen
You don't understand business. :)

Other than those who aren't knowledgeable about batteries buying what's too good to be true, there is also the growing outraged-nerd marketing demographic. (I can safely say this because I am one).

"That can't be true! I better buy some to test!"

Heh, mi$$ion accomplished. :)

I do, the shop was highly recommended by an German YouTube guy...

Back