diy solar

diy solar

Home Energy Monitor ?

MurphyGuy

It just needs a bigger hammer
Has anyone found a good home energy monitor that doesn't require an internet connection? Very important: NO CLOUD SERVICE OR INTERNET REQUIRED.

I've been looking for a home energy monitoring system that will allow me to clamp my mains, solar feeds, and various other single and double pole breaker circuits.

I do want it to connect to my home's WIRED ethernet network, but the device needs to store data, not feed it to a server through the internet.

Suggestions?

I'm using Shelly EM at my cabin for a live readout. Not sure about the storage of data as I don't care about that and the device shuts down when I shut the power down anyway.

iotawatt requires no internet connection (as long as you set the time manually) but does require a wifi access point. The AP does not need to be connected to the internet and only needed for local access by the iotawatt.
I know of no commercial monitoring that does or require cloud service.
All the other ones I've seen requires internet connection like the Emporia so that the data can be sent to some cloud service.

Aeotec has a Zwave current sensor and you can connect it to your Zwave hub locally without going over Internet: https://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-energy-measure/. There'll be a bit more setup work but you get more control over the collected data.
Yes, Sense does as well, I have both Europa and Sense. I will try to Find a Zwave and evaluate it as well. Thanks for the tip. I m curios I wasn't able to identify which of these is also secure off the net once set up. I believe all of them want net access to be set up. https://aeotec.com/products/

Last edited:
iotawatt requires no internet connection (as long as you set the time manually) but does require a wifi access point. The AP does not need to be connected to the internet and only needed for local access by the iotawatt.

All the other ones I've seen requires internet connection like the Emporia so that the data can be sent to some cloud service.
That one might be the ticket. Was looking at the Brultech unit but its kind of clunky..

Watching iotawatt youtube vids now to see what folks think..

Thanks!

Can I still give you some tips, or is this topic already too outdated? About a year ago, I was in the same situation as you, and for a very long time, I could not find a suitable company that could provide such services. Even ordinary panels are not a very common topic, so it wasn't easy to find a good one among the offers. Friends from the university advised me to contact the service luminsmart.com since they are engaged in such panels and could help me. I have never regretted my choice, as I saved a huge amount of money on electricity and optimized the entire energy consumption process in my house.

Last edited:
Back