diy solar

diy solar

Home integration of otherwise portable system

betterways

Hello,

I am intrigued by this kit, which is a Bluetti ac200P, plus panels, cables & a transfer switch for output from the Bluetti. https://shopsolarkits.com/collectio...ucts/bluetti-ac200p-quad-home-integration-kit

But I am interested instead creating a system using an MPP or Growatt and batteries rather than the Bluetti. So how do I determine what kind of transfer switch? They don't sell it separately at shopsolarkits.

I have access to used panels, which if I understand correctly, can't be used on a grid-tie or house-mounted system, right? At least not in most cities.

I believe the 2000w capacity of the Bluetti is about right for me. . I have been habitually keeping my electricity usage low for years not. My electric bills in the summer & winter months when the centrals are used hover between 500 & 600kwhs. And are minuscule in most spring & fall months. My November bill says I used 181kwh. I am house hunting, and hope to do even better in the new place. I live in about 1500 sq ft 60-year old duplex and am looking for another small house.

I am intrigued by this kit, which is a Bluetti ac200P...
But I am interested instead creating a system using an MPP or Growatt and batteries rather than the Bluetti. So how do I determine what kind of transfer switch?

I'm slightly confused on the above...

The transfer switch. If you use an MPP or Growatt, they have the ATS (auto-transfer switch) function already built-in to the units, they have AC grid power input, and can manage all connections without requiring adding an ATS.

Does the ATS question relate to the Bluetti or something?

I'm slightly confused on the above...

The transfer switch. If you use an MPP or Growatt, they have like ATS (auto-transfer switch) function already built-in to the units, they have AC grid power input, and can manage all connections without requiring adding an ATS.

Does the ATS question relate to the Bluetti or something?
Yes, but I am talking about making a portable generator system like the Bluetti, just cheaper and less recognizable & stealable, and more upgradeable with replaceable parts. Mounted on board or in a crate like Will frequently demonstrates. So the MPP wouldn't be connected to the house. The Bluetti kit includes such a transfer switch.

Yes, but I am talking about making a portable generator system like the Bluetti, just cheaper and less recognizable & stealable, and more upgradeable with replaceable parts. Mounted on board or in a crate like Will frequently demonstrates. So the MPP wouldn't be connected to the house. The Bluetti kit includes such a transfer switch.

But again, MPP has ATS function already in it... I don't understand (please be patient with me as I just want to make sure I understand the intention)...

What is the Bluetti transfer switch transferring in its implementation?

I believe the OP may be wanting to create a DIY 24V/48V system that could power portions of their home in the case of a blackout. So, power transfer to the home, not the home powering the generator.

Oh ok, that makes a lot more sense now. I'm surprised I didn't think of that in the moment before... Seems obvious now :geek:

Well they have various transfer switch solutions, from manual (dual-breaker w/ interconnect-bar connected across them), to relay-based auto-transfer switches and such.

I wonder what he meant about the Bluetti including an auto-transfer switch, I guess I didn't understand that part still. Like they can include you one (like a Bluetti part number, as an accessory to add in with it) to install into your house?

Last edited:
Perhaps a cheaper one like one of these would work?

or:

Do you have a separate physical panel for critical loads vs other loads circuits, or is the idea to divert all house loads from a single panel off of the ATS circuit?

Last edited:
Back