diy solar

diy solar

Home made crimping tool, make your own

• Thread starter Deleted member 9967
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9967

I have seen a version of this tool in many places. Although this was one of the easier ones I thought.
Anyhow, enjoy. :)

Go to time 1:57 in the video for how to make a crimper.
1:57 home made wire crimper

EDIT for spelling.

oh boy, why not just use the right tool for the job? Before someone says "It costs too much", when your house or RV burns down from bad connections, that will cost a LOT more.
Can't just enjoy it can you.
Have to say something bad about it.
Wow.
Oh well.
It actually works and there will be no burning down of homes or whatever.
Some people liked it anyhow.

Yeah those Amazon crimpers work real well don't they :devilish:
I bought the $45 amazon cheap-o hydraulic one when I first started making cables. Since then I bought the ~$200 Temco kit with the 30 or so different dies. Temco is nice for doing a ton of cables that have no margin for error, for example when they are offered to customers or clients. The amazon cheap-o got the job done for a few crimps when installing the first Sol-Ark inverter in my system and I only anticipated making 8 or so connections.

I actually own a hammer crimper that has been good for me. I got a discount though because I was in the military.
I think they are $45 Canadian normally though.
Hammer Crimper

Cute, but definitely in the "hack" category. Yes, in a pinch, it'll be sufficient for light use, and is slightly better than just mashing the whole thing in the vise, but it is far from the ideal crimp, and shouldn't be left in place in case someone else uses the cable and assumes it's going to hold up to the wire's rated current.

I give it the following ratings:
4 out of 5 McGyvers
0 out of 10 Electrical inspectors
2 out of seven engineers
6 out of 9 undertakers

Cute, but definitely in the "hack" category. Yes, in a pinch, it'll be sufficient for light use, and is slightly better than just mashing the whole thing in the vise, but it is far from the ideal crimp, and shouldn't be left in place in case someone else uses the cable and assumes it's going to hold up to the wire's rated current.

I give it the following ratings:
4 out of 5 McGyvers
0 out of 10 Electrical inspectors
2 out of seven engineers
6 out of 9 undertakers
"And a partridge in a pear tree" ???????
:)????

Anyhow, just wanted to share for those who like to DIY.
Oh wait, that is the title of this forum.
Dang I messed up by trying to share good knowledge again eh? LOLOLOLOLOL
Anyhow, do what you want with the info.
I was only trying to help.
Not get into a debate over who is right or who is wrong.
Out of here.
Bye and have fun.

You already go enough criticism but I thought I should mention…

For heavy cables of course the right crimper is best. That nut method would work in an emergency but that’s not a 100% contact crimp. A hammer crimper is a compromise, too, but at least with some judicious progressive hammering work you can shrink the terminal end down significantly before you whale on it.

Not trying to rain on your barbecue. Just for big-amp crimps that can get hot you want like 350-360 degrees of contact and 100% mechanical hold.

Back