diy solar

diy solar

Hooking up a Cerbo GX

Amigatec

I have an RV with a Victron SmartSolar 100/50, a Victron SmartSolar 100/30, and a 500 amp Victron SmartShunt. I also have a 200 watt Rich Solar portable panel with a PWM controller.

I am going to add a Victron 100/20 to control the portable panels, so they all work together.

I would like to add a Cerbo GX to the system and screen so I can monitor everything.

What would be the best way to do this???

Thanks!!!

What would be the best way to do this???
Looks like you can plug up to three devices that have V.E. Direct into it so you'll need three V.E. Direct cords of the right length. You may not be able to monitor everything you've got but you'll be able to tell most of what you really need with the SmartShunt.

1675100304628.png
V

Does the Cerbo only work with V.E. Direct or can something use the bluetooth?

Ironically I ~think~ it's Bluetooth is only for communicating with your phone to program it.

It's also has VE Bus and VE Can. One of those is used to talk an inverter I believe but I've only messed with it once about a year ago.

Last edited:
I think since the 100/20 will just be used when I put out the portables, that I will not add it to the Cerbo GX. I plan to add an on and off switch to the 100/20 to turn it off when not in use.

I already have 3 VE.direct devices, SmartShunt a 100/50 and a 100/30 controller, and don't have any more room, unless I use this cable.

I already have 3 VE.direct devices, SmartShunt a 100/50 and a 100/30 controller, and don't have any more room, unless I use this cable.
You're talking about plugging it in the USB port on the Cerbo? I didn't think they could be used for data, just for powering other devices such as the GX Touch and/or sensors but could easily be wrong about that.

Also when I add the 100/20 controller I'm not planning on using it all the time. It will connect to my portable panels. Will is cause problems if I unhook the panels from controller for days or weeks at a time???

Check out 'Off-Grid Garage' Youtube videos on this topic. He has quite an elaborate setup with Victron equipment all connected for data collections. He has a few videos using Cerbo and Raspberry Pi running Victron Vensus OS.

There are also a few other folks posting videos on the topic.

Also when I add the 100/20 controller I'm not planning on using it all the time. It will connect to my portable panels. Will is cause problems if I unhook the panels from controller for days or weeks at a time???

No. I have one that is disconnected for months at a time and retains the name, settings and password I have assigned it.

OK I have it all hooked up and I am having strange problems with it.

It first started with the 100/50 controller. The watt output was bouncing from 0 to maybe 50 watts. After I unhooked the VE.Direct cable it went back to normal. Then it started it again the next morning, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

Then it started doing the same thing with the 100/30 controller. So I unplugged it and plugged it back it.

I also unhooked the 100/20 controller from the Cerbo, and it still does it.

It doesn't do right away, but after some time it will start bouncing, and output is very low.

Is is possible the cables are getting some RF interference because they are running close together?

Do I need to separate the cables?

Is is possible the cables are getting some RF interference because they are running close together?

Do I need to separate the cables?
I have three cables literally coiled together with zip ties and not seeing any issues.

I will try separating them and hooking up one at a time and see if that changes things.

OK I had one of the VE.Direct cables clamped with the 12v power cable, so I have removed it from the clamp, and hooked it back up.

That didn't work either. With just 1 controller hooked up and the cable relocated it is still doing it.

Next I will switch the cables and see if it still does it.

Does it matter in which order the VE.Direct port are hooked up?

Like the first port on the left is number 1?

It doesn't do right away, but after some time it will start bouncing, and output is very low.
So you're seeing the same problem with all the SCC and cables regardless of which one or how many are plugged in? Is the voltage correct?

Could your batteries be full and this is normal behavior?

I have completely rerouted the VE.Direct cables away from all other cables and it seems to be working now.

I rerouted the VE cables up the left side instead of the right side where the cables are.

It appears to be RF from the 12 volt cables.

I'll keep watching it today, and see what happens.

Back