diy solar

diy solar

Hooking up panels to controller for the first time

AWD

Newb here. I was about to bring in the positive line from the panel into the controller box and realize I was probably holding a live wire because of panel light exposure. Do I need to cover the panels with a blanket or something first to kill the live current? Necessary or at least advisable? Please only someone with experience and knows for sure provide answer ... LOL.

Connect the battery to the controller first. Then connect the panels to the controller. Connection during full sun is OK. Cover them if you want. If you have some cheesy knock-off controller, who knows?

Also, the recommended wiring is to place a double pole breaker (DC rated for the proper volt/amps) between the panels and the controller. That way you can turn the PV power to the controller on/off.

. Do I need to cover the panels with a blanket or something first to kill the live current?
It’s impossible to answer this without ANY info about your system.
If you are talking about a 600v array and are asking this question, then you should stop what you are doing and call an electrician,

After rereading your OP, it’s worrying what you are doing with any size system.

Be careful please.

Reactions: AWD
well I know a little more than I probably on. thanks for the concern. I will be careful. Right now I have 6 305 watt panels.

the recommended wiring is to place a double pole breaker (DC rated for the proper volt/amps) between the panels and the controller
6 305 watt panels
Definitely use a breaker at that level of power.
to kill the live current
Technically, you have voltage until you connect them to a circuit, then you get current. And you don't want to connect them with your body as part of the circuit.

Reactions: AWD
And you don't want to connect them with your body as part of the circuit.

That'll make the water run down your leg.
blush.gif

I should have mentioned I do have a combiner box with 3 15a curcuit breakers and 2 25a breakers. So I understand. However just didn’t know if it was “standard safety practice” to cover up panels when connecting if load is off. It certainly wouldn’t hurt and is easy enough to do.
However I am having another issue. I just connected my 2 24v lithium batteries in series to my Growatt 3000 LVM 48P. Please see attached pictures. After connecting using Anderson cables with 6awg, I turn on the batteries and they both read 25.3v and although I see no spark, nor thankfully do not feel any heat coming off the cables or connectors nor do I see any smoke, I am getting a distinct burning smell. Why I have no idea! I left the batteries on for about a minute and it didn’t seem to be getting any better, maybe even worse, so I turned them off thinking “this could get bad”. Any ideas? I don’t think I did anything wrong in the connections. Also the Growatt display did not turn on and I expected it to light up and recognize the batteries. Please advise and refer to pictures.

Attachments

• 7619101D-FE15-4A7C-A9B0-02FDF771F5C0.jpeg
    7619101D-FE15-4A7C-A9B0-02FDF771F5C0.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 12
  • 3A4924B8-CE88-44A7-B068-A61E874F31A9.jpeg
    3A4924B8-CE88-44A7-B068-A61E874F31A9.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 12
  • C3D23C6B-B5A5-4F30-92B2-5217DD8F0FFB.jpeg
    C3D23C6B-B5A5-4F30-92B2-5217DD8F0FFB.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 47F3ACC5-8EF5-4928-9417-411A234FAF16.jpeg
    47F3ACC5-8EF5-4928-9417-411A234FAF16.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 12
I don't know anything about troubleshooting the Growatt units other than turn off everything, then turn on batteries, then turn on PV. Try it with just the batteries connected. Check fuses.

I don't know anything about troubleshooting the Growatt units other than turn off everything, then turn on batteries, then turn on PV. Try it with just the batteries connected. Check fuses.
I just connected the batteries to the Growatt and nothing else. These batteries have built in breakers. Why would this product be producing a burning smell?

It looks like your mystery batteries are connected in series. Are you seeing 48v at the Growatt?

Is there any sign of life when the Growatt is connected to batteries? And the smoke is from the Growatt and not the battery(s)?

Did you connect your array to the Growatt at any point before this?

Back