diy solar

diy solar

Hoop Base vs Flange Base

robertwh

Looking at buying my first wind turbine.

Does anyone have any info on a flange base vs a hoop base? Seems like the hoop base would be easier to install.

Not sure why you would post that. I have already read thru it previously and it says nothing in relation to my question.

Looking at buying my first wind turbine.

Does anyone have any info on a flange base vs a hoop base? Seems like the hoop base would be easier to install.
I have a bit of experience with small wind but I'm not sure what you're referring to by hoop vs flange.

This should clarify.

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5
  • hoop.jpg
    hoop.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 6
Personally, I've never seen the hoop type, but from a structural standpoint, flange is much more favorable. The hoop has a built-in stress concentration:

1657556314659.png

All bending loads pass through this radius. The big fat radius helps, but this type of connection has a dramatically lower load limit than the flange type.

EDIT: I can see the appeal though... simply clamp it onto a pole instead of needing a flange on the pole too.

Last edited:
Moral obligation/community service. Wind is a losing proposition for most and many don't understand the basics.

Awesome. Good luck.
To support and build on sunshine_Eggo's attempt to be nice I'll offer the two things that I've learned from over 30 years being around this stuff.

1- 98% of people do not have a site even remotely feasible for small wind but even if you are in the 2% there's not any turbines out there worth buying.

2- I've personally installed and removed dozens of small wind turbines from pretty much every manufacturer ranging in cost from a few hundred dollars to well over $50k and I'm pretty sure none of them even produced enough energy to even pay for the wire between the turbine and the power center before they were abandoned in disgust. Sadly it took me a few years to figure that out but at I've never installed another one.

If you want to play around with wind keep in mind it's probably just going to piece a of piece dynamic yard art. Small wind is cool but solar will produce 10x more energy for the same investment and still be working in 10 and even 20 years.

This should clarify.
It all depends on what you're trying to mount it to. Do you have a tower yet?

hoop = "slip fitter" That's the most common mount. Normally that goes on a pipe tower being held up by a guy wires.

Flange would be bolted to the top of a lattice style tower that has a flat plate on top like below.

1657557588101.png

Don't have the tower yet, so that's why I'm trying to determine the best/easiest mount you use.

And yes, I understand the issues, but I live on an island in the Caribbean and the wind is awesome (or a pain in the butt, depending on how you view it).

Generally 12 to 17 with almost daily guests to 25. Those are MPH

Last edited:
BTW, for the record, I'm not looking for wind to solve all my problems, just as an addition to my solar.

To support and build on sunshine_Eggo's attempt to be nice I'll offer the two things that I've learned from over 30 years being around this stuff.

1- 98% of people do not have a site even remotely feasible for small wind but even if you are in the 2% there's not any turbines out there worth buying.

2- I've personally installed and removed dozens of small wind turbines from pretty much every manufacturer ranging in cost from a few hundred dollars to well over $50k and I'm pretty sure none of them even produced enough energy to even pay for the wire between the turbine and the power center before they were abandoned in disgust. Sadly it took me a few years to figure that out but at I've never installed another one.

If you want to play around with wind keep in mind it's probably just going to piece a of piece dynamic yard art. Small wind is cool but solar will produce 10x more energy for the same investment and still be working in 10 and even 20 years.

It all depends on what you're trying to mount it to. Do you have a tower yet?

hoop = "slip fitter" That's the most common mount. Normally that goes on a pipe tower being held up by a guy wires.

Flange would be bolted to the top of a lattice style tower that has a flat plate on top like below.

View attachment 102207
So can you purchase a pole with the flange piece attached to bolt the turbine to, or do you have to make it? And if you can purchase it, where's the best place to buy it?

So can you purchase a pole with the flange piece attached to bolt the turbine to, or do you have to make it? And if you can purchase it, where's the best place to buy it?
You're bolting the turbine down to a factory made flat plate that is welded or bolted to the tower like the picture above.

The Rohn 45G* used to be a pretty common tower for the smaller turbines because it was already being widely used for lots of other applications and if you keep your eye out they can be picked up used pretty cheaply.

*of course you'll want an engineer to sign off an anything you put together yourself

Back