diy solar

diy solar

Hope I didn’t mess up!!!

Hamilton71801

I’m starting a new 1800 sq ft build and went totally off grid. The power company wanted $25k to run the line plus I’d have to cut around $10k in timber for a right of way. I’m in Arkansas and will ground mount these panels, and they’ll have plenty of southern sky. This really makes me nervous, but should this handle my new home? I plan on all electric-natural gas isn’t available, and I really don’t want propane if I don’t have to. I’ll use mini split AC, and I’ve already dug my well close to my brothers house and he will power it. Im running close to 2000’ of water line-drilling cost significantly less because of the elevation change.

I will install a back up generator (maybe a generac 22k-still figuring it out), and I’ll have a battery charger for the genny.

This is the system that Signature Solar sold me. We were doing a lot of guessing about power consumption and decided to see how this goes and increase it if need be.

I’ll buy new energy efficient appliances and I’ll also have a wood insert for heat.

Think this is doable?

5kW 5000ES (USA Model) & Growatt Transformer Kit

• MILITARY (-$124.80)
2$2,496.00
$2,371.20
Flexible Branch Pair MC4 style

• MILITARY (-$0.79)
2$15.98
$15.19
DC Disconnect Rooftop Isolator Switch by IMO

• MILITARY (-$7.29)
2$145.98
$138.69
Shinelink Wifi-F Stick by Growatt

• MILITARY (-$4.69)
2$93.98
$89.29
48V 100AH EG4LL LCD Battery by EG4

• MILITARY (-$437.25)
5$8,745.00
$8,307.75
390W 144cell Silver Bifacial Solar Panel by Canadian Solar I Full Pallet (33)

• MILITARY (-$302.44)
1$6,048.90
$5,746.46
6 Slot Enclosed Battery Rack - Unassembled

6 Slot Enclosed Battery RackUnassembled
  • DISCOUNT WITH BATTERY PURCHASE (-$119.80)
1$599.00
$479.20
PV Wire 100 ft 10-Gauge Copper 30 Amp Black & Red

• MILITARY (-$10.90)
2$218.00
$207.10

A few thoughts for you to kick around. These are just my observations, and they are based on my experience which sounds similar to yours. Fully off grid, 1200ft + home.

Do a power audit and be realistic about your usage.

You are gonna need more battery if you consume power like the average family and especially if you plan on using electric major appliances. Save yourself a headache and lots of money by running propane stove and instant water heater. You could go through that much battery in a day easy if you plan on running electric water heaters, stove, mini splits, etc.. One cloudy day and your on the genny.

I would look for a better quality inverter. Look for a low frequency inverter. Far more efficient and durable imo. I love my Schneider xw pro 6848 and it's quality is something i can depend on day after day. You can stack them if you need more power but their power ratings are accurate and they can handle huge surges for long periods of time. Uses 28 watts which is very low for an inverter of this size. Sma, Victron, Sol-Ark are a couple other quality brands.

Your array looks adequate and so does your generator.

Good luck and do some reading on this forum. I wish i had discovered it before i took the off grid plunge. There is so much to learn and this place has some very smart and helpful folks!

And since you are building new, do everything you can to make that place efficient! Quality doors and windows energy star rated, proper insulation, 2x6 walls, N/S orientation, etc.

And since you are building new, do everything you can to make that place efficient! Quality doors and windows energy star rated, proper insulation, 2x6 walls, N/S orientation, etc.
Thanks for the reply! My inverters are in transit so it probably won’t be too big of a deal to refund those. I’ll check out your inverter! And propane isn’t off the table, just wish there was another option, but I’m afraid it’ll be my only one unless I want to spend $$$$ on more solar. Do you know if you can bury a tank?

Thanks for the reply! My inverters are in transit so it probably won’t be too big of a deal to refund those. I’ll check out your inverter! And propane isn’t off the table, just wish there was another option, but I’m afraid it’ll be my only one unless I want to spend $$$$ on more solar. Do you know if you can bury a tank?
You can definitely bury a tank. I forgot to mention the load an electric dryer will take. It adds up quick with electric appliances. I run propane tankless water heater, dryer and stove. It does give you a significant propane bill but just crunch the numbers for what's needed to run it all with electric.

Also check out Magnum and Sunny Island inverters. Lots of tier1 quality options out there.

I’m starting a new 1800 sq ft build and went totally off grid. The power company wanted $25k to run the line plus I’d have to cut around $10k in timber for a right of way. I’m in Arkansas and will ground mount these panels, and they’ll have plenty of southern sky. This really makes me nervous, but should this handle my new home? I plan on all electric-natural gas isn’t available, and I really don’t want propane if I don’t have to. I’ll use mini split AC, and I’ve already dug my well close to my brothers house and he will power it. Im running close to 2000’ of water line-drilling cost significantly less because of the elevation change.

I will install a back up generator (maybe a generac 22k-still figuring it out), and I’ll have a battery charger for the genny.

This is the system that Signature Solar sold me. We were doing a lot of guessing about power consumption and decided to see how this goes and increase it if need be.

I’ll buy new energy efficient appliances and I’ll also have a wood insert for heat.

Think this is doable?

• MILITARY (-$124.80)
2$2,496.00
$2,371.20

• MILITARY (-$0.79)
2$15.98
$15.19

• MILITARY (-$7.29)
2$145.98
$138.69

• MILITARY (-$4.69)
2$93.98
$89.29

• MILITARY (-$437.25)
5$8,745.00
$8,307.75

• MILITARY (-$302.44)
1$6,048.90
$5,746.46

1$599.00
$479.20

• MILITARY (-$10.90)
2$218.00
$207.10
Thanks for your business! would recommend a much smaller genset with a bank of DC chargers as opposed to the 22kw

Thanks for your business! would recommend a much smaller genset with a bank of DC chargers as opposed to the 22kw
My thinking was to get a genny big enough to power the whole house just in case I had a failure in one of the solar components and I had to wait on parts. That way I wouldn’t be dead in the water. I could probably get away with a smaller generator…I’m all about saving $$!

And I have to say that Sig Solar has been great to deal with. They’ve answered all of my stupid questions and have been more than patient with my solar ignorance. I still don’t have my mind completely wrapped around it all, but I’m 100% confident that they will be more than willing to answer the rest of my stupid questions! I told them that if they see a mushroom cloud just north of them, that’ll it me wiring this stuff up!!!

Yeah I was waiting on your 25A charger. I had it in my original build sheet, but luckily it’ll be a month or 2 before I get it all installed and I’ll have time to figure that piece out.

Hamilton, Friend I have a lot of advice to offer. So much that I made you a video because I have gone through all of this and had to learn it all the hard way. I hope to save you some money, pain and mistakes.
Solar power plant - Off Grid
Never forget that Will Prowse is the final word on solar power. He has like a Kagillion videos that can help you.

Think this is doable?

• MILITARY (-$124.80)
2$2,496.00
$2,371.20

• MILITARY (-$0.79)
2$15.98
$15.19

• MILITARY (-$7.29)
2$145.98
$138.69

• MILITARY (-$4.69)
2$93.98
$89.29

• MILITARY (-$437.25)
5$8,745.00
$8,307.75

• MILITARY (-$302.44)
1$6,048.90
$5,746.46

1$599.00
$479.20

• MILITARY (-$10.90)
2$218.00
$207.10
I agree with most of the comments. Do an energy audit to find out how much power you will use. There are many topics about it in this forum. Your battery bank is way too small. I have a 30kw battery bank and it only runs for less than a day without solar. Your inverter choice is probably not the best. I love the low frequency Magnum MS pae 4448. It is a work horse and you can parallel up to 4 to make a 12kw Inverter. 33 PV panels are plenty of power. If you have a generator then you must be using propane to power it. If that is the case then purchase a propane dryer and a propane stove to reduce the energy demands.

My thinking was to get a genny big enough to power the whole house just in case I had a failure in one of the solar components and I had to wait on parts. That way I wouldn’t be dead in the water. I could probably get away with a smaller generator…I’m all about saving $$!

And I have to say that Sig Solar has been great to deal with. They’ve answered all of my stupid questions and have been more than patient with my solar ignorance. I still don’t have my mind completely wrapped around it all, but I’m 100% confident that they will be more than willing to answer the rest of my stupid questions! I told them that if they see a mushroom cloud just north of them, that’ll it me wiring this stuff up!!!

I'll fourth the propane for anything that uses heat directly - save hot water. If you can lay it out in two 50-120gal tanks (depending on your usage) in a thermosiphon system with ideally gas fired backup in the top one. Feed them primary heat with solar collectors, either direct water from the tank, or, if you get freezing, through a heat exchanger and refrigerant. Short of days of no sun you'll have all the hot water you want.

I'm working on a 560Ah, 48V LFP battery right now that will be on ~6500W nominal. From what I see the system is good for ~13kWh/day. Much more and I'd be looking at a bigger battery as well as more panels, which you have.

You have a lot of good advice. I am 1/4 mile to road. It would have cost me about $17k 5 years ago to have grid strung to house. I have spent near 2x that all in. looking back I would have put the lines in.

Running a generator to produce electricity is very expensive. Stay away from Generac. They have solid lifters that need a lot of adjusting-especially if you go beyond 1000 hours. Kohler has hydraulic lifters. I have to agree with Sig Solar. 10kw is better. My 14kW uses 2 gallons lp/hr. You want to load up generator to near 100% so you need a battery array that can deal with that. You want PFC charger. Meanwell has some nice product at digikey. Keep in mind that many if these generators need grid power to keep the battery charged. Seems the controllers are power hogs. I run a 12v line to generator to keep it chrged. You could probably put a small panel next to generator to keep it charged.

Heating with propane isn't so bad. I have radiant concrete slabs on first and second floor. Very nice. Lots of south facing low E glass is a big plus. You are in warmer climate so your so much better.

good luck
Roswell Bob

Welcome to the party Hamilton.

Hybrid water heaters are worth looking into. Clothes lines are famous for using solar power with 100% efficiency.
If you are not committed to a normal structure you may want to look at some earth home designs AND ENERGY SPECS. Some people think they are extremely efficient, I do.

Back