diy solar

diy solar

Hot, Hot, Hot!

karl404

Hi all,

I recently revamped the electrical system in my RV. I've got 680W of panels on the roof wired to a Victron 100|50 solar charger, 300 Ah of Battleborn lithium batteries, and a Victron Multi-plus 3000W inverter-charger. We took the RV on a monthlong trip in May and everything seemed to work well. I opened up the battery compartment the other day while doing some work in the coach and decided to crank up the A/C (with soft start). I don't plan on running the A/C for long periods with battery power but would like to be able to cool off the RV in the evening for 1/2 hour or so.

After the A/C had been running for a half hour, I noticed that the wires, distributor, and shunt all got very hot. I've got 4/0 ga wires running between my batteries and the inverter. The longest wires are less than 3 ft (running to the inverter). My BMS says i'm at about 140 A of current with the A/C compressor running and I measure about 0.05 V drop across each cable. This is about 10X what I calculate should happen for my cable length though I don't know what to expect for losses in the connectors.

Is this normal behavior or do I have a problem?

This is about 10X what I calculate should happen for my cable length though I don't know what to expect for losses in the connectors.
I noticed that the wires, distributor, and shunt all got very hot.
What distributor, shunt and connectors?
Happen to have a pic of the wiring?
Is the area vented?
I will assume you've checked/cleaned the connections.

Yes if 140 amps is getting 4/0 even warm there are connection or crimp issues. Mid wire should be cool until the heat moves along from where the issue is.

What distributor, shunt and connectors?
Happen to have a pic of the wiring?
Is the area vented?
I will assume you've checked/cleaned the connections.
Victron everything. I took pictures that show the connections. The area isn't vented generally, but open while I'm testing and getting these readings.

Today I ran the A/C on full for 30 minutes where it was drawing about 150 Amps and measured the temperature of the shunt at five minute intervals and also the main fuse when i realized it was the hottest point in the system

time(min) shunt(F) fuse(F)
0 87
5 90
10 90
15 94
20 95 148
25 97 152
30 98 155

IMG_5125.jpgIMG_5126.jpgIMG_5127.jpgIMG_5127.jpgIMG_5128.jpgIMG_5129.jpg

Back