diy solar

diy solar

Hot tub solar

I like finding odd ways to do things... maybe we can find a way cheaply.
Check out what Windmillbill did with a heating element straight from solar panels. Gets a water barrel to 150 degrees during the day for his greenhouse.

Jump to post #42 (i think my link goes there):

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/beginner’s-corner.16263/page-3#post-216270

Check out what Windmillbill did with a heating element straight from solar panels. Gets a water barrel to 150 degrees during the day for his greenhouse.

Jump to post #42 (i think my link goes there):

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/beginner’s-corner.16263/page-3#post-216270
“This morning the outside temp fell to 31”
That is not a typical SFD winter temp...
humans who haven’t lived in the black hills during winter just cannot fathom SFD winters..,

our house was 24” block wall construction filled with vermiculite... the below ground full basement had a huge oil furnace, and a coal backup furnace... we often ran both during the winter... my room was in the basement... and it was COLD with both running at night.
It isn’t JUST the deep freeze high temps in the minus 20 F days or the frigid 30plus below zero nights, but the WIND just will not stop... 40 to 80MPH winds... constantly... perfect for windmills I suppose...
now, I am SURE it is my adolescent fixated memories that have me dwelling on the worst... but also imagine snow that doesn’t melt... doesn’t pack, doesn’t do anything but blow around every day... houses completely covered with snow drifts... I do not miss the SFD winters...
I do miss the total lack of humidity in the summers... god humidity SUCKS here in NC summers...

Interesting about how I heat the house... I have a gas boiler and the house is heated with water.
It is extremely efficient. I guess this is a no brainer.... pipe the house heat to the hot tub...
Would the hot tub chemicals affect the boiler system?
I’d have to insulate the lines to travel from house to tub. It’s only 5’ or so.

Why use batteries to store power for when the sun isn't shining?
Get an electric water heater. Heat it to a higher temperature and use a thermostat (and optionally timer) to run a pump circulating whenever tub drops below desired temperature.
So the water heater runs on solar?
and it doesn’t consume as much power because it heats in the small tank? I’ve heard those are expensive to run on the grid...

Interesting about how I heat the house... I have a gas boiler and the house is heated with water.
It is extremely efficient. I guess this is a no brainer.... pipe the house heat to the hot tub...

Boiler could be DI water, maybe some corrosion inhibitors or something to prevent scale buildup.
Pool is typically treated with chlorine, sometimes bromine.
I would suggest liquid to liquid heat exchanger.

So the water heater runs on solar?
and it doesn’t consume as much power because it heats in the small tank? I’ve heard those are expensive to run on the grid...

Where gas is available, it is cheaper than resistance heating.
In mild climates, the heat-pump based hybrid water heaters can be run for a fraction the cost of resistance.

Unless you use a huge amount of hot water, electric resistance heating of water for household use isn't so bad.
If the water was used for baseboard heaters, or if you heated a hot tub (which isn't well insulated), that would get expensive.

I've run a water heat at low wattage (240V element wired to 120V AC) so it just takes more hours to heat up.

PV these days can produce power around $0.05/kWh, with more of its production in the summer months of course.
I've seen some PV direct DC operation of water heaters, but unless they have DC rated controls and safety devices, I don't trust them. Even some heating elements sold for DC with thermostat built in turned out to contain AC components which of course failed.

For larger heating systems like the hot tub, PV to inverters for AC to run heaters would be an off the shelf solution. Because it doesn't adjust power consumption to match PV production, it is going to cycle on and off repeatedly. A battery good for many thousands of cycles (lithium) would be needed.
An electronic control which varied power to match PV production, or multiple elements switched to approximately match, would be more ideal.

Aha! A gas boiler in the house...
Perfect...
Have your hvac company install a snow melt loop from the house the the base of the tub.
Kill two birds.
Met snow access to the tub, and keep the tub above freezing.

Back