diy solar

diy solar

House lighting integration

slowbutsure

Hi

I have spare capacity in my solar system that is currently off grid so I’m wondering what to add to the system am thinking about how I could add my house lighting circuit to it. All the lights in the house go through one mains fuse. So I’m assuming that I could put a manual transfer switch before the fuse to select mains or solar, with the solar fed from my 3000w inverter. Is there any considerations I need to be mindful of?

Thanks.

LEDs need current regulatiing drivers and typically the raw voltage is about 3 volts. I played around with doing that twenty years ago when off the shelf LEDs were not easy or economical. Now it is just easier to buy LEDs that run off 120 volt AC. They have the drivers built in you don't need to change anything assuming you already are inverting your solar efficiently to 120 volts AC. The only exception to that is landscape lighting that runs off 12 volts and those bulbs and fixtures aand tranformers are easy to find and inexpensive. Solar panel voltage varies a lot and it would be much more complicated to find LED drivers for that voltage.

Thanks, I’m in the U.K. so we’re at 240v AC. The house has led lights running on the grid. I want to be able to switch between grid and my inverter. I am a little hesitant to mess with the AC side, but depends what’s involved.

Back