diy solar

diy solar

Houston we have a problem!?

Messier11

BD1DE134-C75F-485E-84E7-9FBE203C6C10.jpeg
1DEF73F6-FDA2-4854-8E97-A32B2DA8B58F.jpeg
B2F9C881-E1F2-4206-8948-AA7F6D11A56C.jpeg

I was planning an off-grid solar system but noticed that I have no sun. Anyone know of any moon-panels? :)

OTOH, a couple of weeks before and after 21 June we get sun 24/7, so it evens out in a sense.

Also problematic to have the panels on the roof, with all the snow (and more is to come the coming 2-3 months):
F0F997A0-926F-4C6C-954F-7D3D0227CBE1.jpeg

Some have gone to TEG set ups while they run a wood stove 24-7, attached to a wood stove with a fresh cold air dump on the side of them they do pretty good. as somewhere it doesn’t Snow, I miss it at times.

What app is that? Would be super useful for me when changing locations in the 5th wheel.
Its Sun Tracker AR. There is a one of payment, but it’s really super useful!

I am less than a kilometer from the same country as yours!

I know - saw your location in the screenshot of your app :)

am looking to set up a more complete off grid system this spring/summer, would be great if I could check some local issues with you!?

Absolutely, no problem!

Wow you are way up there , you would probably have to run the generator for power until the sun comes up out of the trees .
Around DEC 1 I start getting some shadows on my lower panels .
By DEC 21 there is some shading on my second row , but I don’t really have much sun at my place any way .
I run my Honda when I wake up for a hour or so and the sun gives me a little power for the rest of the day .
Around the 3rd week of January I start getting some sun , but then it snows every night and messes with Production

Messier 11..Wild Duck Cluster? At least it's a little higher than the sun right now. Probably not bright enough to do much good however. ;)

Need a slightly bigger battery to get you through winter.... ;)

Yup, the ice on the Bothnian Sea melts in May in these parts...

My parents actually lived in that cabin (which is out in the Archipelago) over the spring (say March to June) just after I was born, must have been pretty cool.

My kids are getting a little older, I will try to get away and work from there more in the future. At least that is my dream. :)

Need a slightly bigger battery to get you through winter.... ;)

Haha, what are the odds of a lost container at sea full with LiFePo4 hitting the beach??

View attachment 78026
View attachment 78027
View attachment 78028

I was planning an off-grid solar system but noticed that I have no sun. Anyone know of any moon-panels? :)

OTOH, a couple of weeks before and after 21 June we get sun 24/7, so it evens out in a sense.

Also problematic to have the panels on the roof, with all the snow (and more is to come the coming 2-3 months):
View attachment 78035
the snow is actually the primary problem - and that you don't get much daylight hours.

one of the better panels for low light application are thin film. CIGS Panels - they produce power as long you got enough light to read - even a little bit in Full Moonlight :p

You could build some sort of shed / carport where you hang the panels underneath like that one panel on the side of the cabin.

During the summer you must have all day sun or?

snows every night and messes with Production
Yours are rooftop?
The vertical panel thing has really been working out for me. No accumulating snow.
Right now the sun’s out, 10*F. I’m 92V and over 5A at the moment. Tilted I’d get more but ???why cuz I’m 14.6 going into the batteries and neither array is facing the sun directly.
In summer I’ll have way too much unused production on sunny days.

Last edited:
yup, I’m roof mounted my panels are between the chimny and the black vent pipe , the black vent pipe is 36” tall ?
I’m not missing to much production any way I have not seen the sun for a week , I’m just running the Honda .
in a week of so the sun really picks up here .
Some years the panels stay mostly clear this year and last year not so much ?‍♂️
I have a extra 4500watt array that is going to get ground mounted in the next couple years .
3E685EA8-45EC-4858-89DB-2ED7989BD475.png

I don't understand what the problem is.
You just need a taller house. When you get to the roof you can pitch it like 75 or 80 degrees and the snow will just fall off. How many stories would it take? :LOL:

yup, I’m roof mounted my panels are between the chimny and the black vent pipe , the black vent pipe is 36” tall ?
I’m not missing to much production any way I have not seen the sun for a week , I’m just running the Honda .
in a week of so the sun really picks up here .
Some years the panels stay mostly clear this year and last year not so much ?‍♂️
I have a extra 4500watt array that is going to get ground mounted in the next couple years .
View attachment 79116
Don't worry, global warming is coming and you won't have to worry about the snow any more. ;)

Back