diy solar

diy solar

How are you guys wiring up a single phase 240 with dual 120 legs?

I am not sure ... I was hoping for an actual comparison with your costings of going for the US-style inverters ... from what I can see the Growatt/MMP style seem to be more or less a wash, even with the size of the system you have and that's where I would assume you would actually start to see the savings?

I'm sure I am missing something ... but aren't 2 of these units comparable to what you have? And ultimately a much easier set-up?

No it isn't. That unit you linked up im pretty sure is a stand alone unit and cannot be paralleled with another one. I had already looked into that and was told you cannot use 2 of em unless you had 2 separate subpanels.
I already had an Aimes 10k and I couldn't use 2 of those together either.

No it isn't. That unit you linked up im pretty sure is a stand alone unit and cannot be paralleled with another one. I had already looked into that and was told you cannot use 2 of em unless you had 2 separate subpanels.
I already had an Aimes 10k and I couldn't use 2 of those together either.
What’d ya do with the 10K?

This is a 240/ 60 hertz model

What I'm wanting is to utilize the AC input from the grid along with the PV input and batteries all in conjunction.
How do I run 240 to the units with 2 legs of 120?
I don’t know if your particular inverter can use a 120v input instead of 240v. To get single phase 240v to the AC input of the inverter you can use a transformer (similar to the one you use for the output) that converts single phase 120v to single phase 240v.

I don’t know if your particular inverter can use a 120v input instead of 240v. To get single phase 240v to the AC input of the inverter you can use a transformer (similar to the one you use for the output) that converts single phase 120v to single phase 240v.

My inverters are neutral, ground and hot.

I ended up buying 4 of the MPP 5K that are the identical 240v output as the Revo II and will be wiring those up the same.
Neutrals are hot as well in these systems. Just need a 240V output transformer.
Yes it's extremely difficult to find anything on the net or YouTube about using these type of inverters but I have done it. I guess my pains are your alls gains lol

This is a 240/ 60 hertz model

What I'm wanting is to utilize the AC input from the grid along with the PV input and batteries all in conjunction.
How do I run 240 to the units with 2 legs of 120?
an isolation 120 to 240 transformer, split phase is irrelevant since it is single phase output. But it will probably be cheaper to just buy a split phase inverter.
Looks like that tiwan inverter from pics. I like the idea of transformer separate, and they will ship just boards for repair. But that is single phase input so you can't just swap the board, you will need to add connectors and wiring at least.
I'm guessing since you don't even understand your power grid to answer the simple question, telling you to open the case and see if the AC is passed through, or is fed into the transformer just like the DC volts are would be pointless.
But if you want to test since it says 120v input, use a 1 amp fuse on the hot line, that will limit power to 120w . With no load you should be safe to turn on and check output with vom.

an isolation 120 to 240 transformer, split phase is irrelevant since it is single phase output. But it will probably be cheaper to just buy a split phase inverter.
Looks like that tiwan inverter from pics. I like the idea of transformer separate, and they will ship just boards for repair. But that is single phase input so you can't just swap the board, you will need to add connectors and wiring at least.
I'm guessing since you don't even understand your power grid to answer the simple question, telling you to open the case and see if the AC is passed through, or is fed into the transformer just like the DC volts are would be pointless.
But if you want to test since it says 120v input, use a 1 amp fuse on the hot line, that will limit power to 120w . With no load you should be safe to turn on and check output with vom.

Have you even read the whole thread?

is it possible? ( all single phase
In the US and Canada the grid is 240 split phase. Perhaps there is somewhere on earth whose grid is 120 volts but most of the world I am familiar with, runs on 240 volts, some of which is single phase and some of which is split phase. I am not including three phase.

In the US and Canada the grid is 240 split phase. Perhaps there is somewhere on earth whose grid is 120 volts but most of the world I am familiar with, runs on 240 volts, some of which is single phase and some of which is split phase. I am not including three phase.
Thanks for your fast answers, but I put these because it is a simplification... could be those too ( and) https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...00294748568.html?spm=a2700.9114905.0.0.jqZM7G could be a good option if it work!

Attachments

• posible2.jpg
    posible2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 9
No.
Grid tie needs frequency control not possible the way you are trying to do it.
Thanks , but Your answers doesn't have logic, because transformer ( usual) no affect the 60hz!... and those (grid tie inverter) , only synchronize to the grid( meaning they follow the wave to duplicate and keep the offset close to 0 )!!! They use the frequency supplier to synchronizes, add , every circuit to supplier you house, pass through a reducer transformer !!! ( usual transformer! )!..... remember it is a auto toroid, no isolate transformer

Attachments

• exampl.jpg
    exampl.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Do you know of any units do what these can do?

48 volt
Need dual legs of 120v output
Need dual legs of 120v input
auto gen start
PV input of around 4500-5kw
PV voltage of around 450 at least
5500 KW inverter
Able to work and communicate with lithium and BMS
Manages power from Solar, Battery, Grid, Load, and Generator simultaneously
Probably gonna have to buy multiple units so able to communicate between units
Yes the Sol-Ark will do all of that.
I went down the same road as you using SMA equipment from Europe because US SMA inverters will not do 50Hz and I needed 120/120V at 50Hz. It ended up that I would have needed two Autotransformers. One for the output to get the 240V to 120V split phase and then one to the Input to turn the 120V split phase grid into 240V. That alone was enough of a deterrent. You mentioned something about the one leg drawing 5Kw while the other was only drawing 2Kw and you are getting overload issues. I remember the SMA guy telling me something about the transformers needing to be perfectly balanced, as he said a slight imbalance would cause it to pull heavily on one Leg and not the other.

I went down the same road as you using SMA equipment from Europe because US SMA inverters will not do 50Hz and I needed 120/120V at 50Hz. It ended up that I would have needed two Autotransformers. One for the output to get the 240V to 120V split phase and then one to the Input to turn the 120V split phase grid into 240V. That alone was enough of a deterrent. You mentioned something about the one leg drawing 5Kw while the other was only drawing 2Kw and you are getting overload issues. I remember the SMA guy telling me something about the transformers needing to be perfectly balanced, as he said a slight imbalance would cause it to pull heavily on one Leg and not the other.
but I think will be different is all are a single phase! 110V to 220v , with an inverter single phase too!

I have a 37.5 KW transformer and what I suspect causes the issue of imbalanced loads is because of 2 potential reasons. 1. Battery not being hooked up to the units. 2. Solar installer has some how wired up the panels where 1 unit is receiving 2x as much watts as the other.
If that effects it I dunno.

I have bought some mpp units and going to install them when I finally get my batteries all hooked up which I've had over a year now.

Back