diy solar

diy solar

How can I know the cell chemistry of the battery that may be used for an MPPT charge controller?

somaya

Hello Solar fans.

I have purchased several MPPT trackers. Unfortunately, I did not pay attention to the cell battery chemistry of the battery that I can use for this. Now there is usually no

Recommendation in the manual. Is this normal. Is the cell chemistry detected electronically?

For example, how do I know if I can use LiFePo 4 batteries or Lithium Ion with the tracker? Or does it not matter? For example, the Smart Solar from Victron MPPT 100 I 20 has no information for which cell type I can use it. Do any of you know why this information is not present on many trackers?

Thank you

Victron MPPT 100 I 20 has no information for which cell type I can use it.
If this is a Victron you have lead acid or lithium iron phosphate are fine.

More important is the charge voltage of the chemistry. To see the custom charge voltages, download the Victron Connect app. There is a demo option that lets yo go in and see the ranges.

@ chrisski
Thank you
Victron is only an example. I mean, is it needed to know any time the battery cell chemistry to charge a battery with an MPPT solar charge controller? Or does it not matter, so I can use for example lead acid/lithium ionen/LIFO/battery without damaging the battery? Charging with solar panel.

Thank you

Ok. Chemistry is not important compared to absorption and float settings on the charger match the battery spec sheet.

I don’t charge higher than the manufacturer spec sheet. Let’s say that charge is 14.4 and float is 13.8, as is typical for an off the shelf lithium battery.

Some charge controllers, cheap ones, are designed for lead acid only so will have absorption or float. Need to be sure both absorption and float are less than that.

I like to charge my lithium batteries at 13.75 volts per 12 volts, but since up to14.6 is allowable, when shopping for chargers, I bought an AIMS converter that charged at 14.0 and floated at 13.75. This is the Gel chemistry mode. Lithium was even higher at 14.4.

Hello Solar fans.

I have purchased several MPPT trackers. Unfortunately, I did not pay attention to the cell battery chemistry of the battery that I can use for this. Now there is usually no

Recommendation in the manual. Is this normal. Is the cell chemistry detected electronically?

For example, how do I know if I can use LiFePo 4 batteries or Lithium Ion with the tracker? Or does it not matter? For example, the Smart Solar from Victron MPPT 100 I 20 has no information for which cell type I can use it. Do any of you know why this information is not present on many trackers?

Thank you
If you have the Victron SmartSolar have you downloaded the Victron Connect app to your phone? You can set to any battery type in the app. My Victron also has a rotary dial you can turn to adjust for different battery types but I'm not sure if yours does.

If you have the Victron SmartSolar have you downloaded the Victron Connect app to your phone? You can set to any battery type in the app. My Victron also has a rotary dial you can turn to adjust for different battery types but I'm not sure if yours does.
@ Douglas Paul
Thank you
I mean generally. Because a lot of suppliers have NO information in their manuals about how cell chemistry can be used. For example
Lead Acid or Lithium Ionen or Lifepo? Only Charge Voltage, not more. Maybe you know more. And yes the Victron has a app with possibilities too
choose the chemistry. But...

Back