diy solar

diy solar

How do I connect two battery banks to Shore line powered Progressive Dynamics Charger?

RiverElf

Greetings and thank you for having this forum, Will E. P. I have a question concerning keeping separate battery banks, monitoring them, and keeping them charged.
1. I can not afford solar yet, no matter how cheap the panels may be. That is a sad but relevant fact.

2. Necessity mandates that I make do with what I have and what I can reasonably obtain, given my current financial and physical limitations.

3. I value knowledge and appreciate its sharing.

4. Within a matter of possibly only a few months, I will be forced to live in my minibus, which is not yet fully converted into an RV.... but is in process thereof.

5. It came with four batteries. ALL are regular 'start' batteries and not a single one is deep cycle. I can NOT yet afford to replace any of them. They are paired in parallel and the pairs are in separate locations. One set is beneath the bus... and it is this set that cranks the bus... I believe folks tend to refer to the location as 'the basement'. The other set is up under the hood, installed by the previous owner on a platform they rigged up... it is ugly but sturdy... so I can't complain.

6. I will refer to the basement set as the START bank and the hood set as the HOUSE bank.

7. At present both banks are attached to what I believe is a 'battery isolater'.... it is very old looking and difficult to see any mfg. info, let alone details. I suspect it is an isolater because it has three bolts.... 1, ALT, 2...... with connected leads.... position one leads to the House Bank, Alt leads 'down and out of sight' , as does the line on 2 position. Another clue that the apparatus is a battery isolater is that the previous owner made a passing comment that the House and Starter Banks are both charged when the vehicle is driven.

8. Thankfully and yet oddly, at the time (since I am a complete beginner, as of the purchase of this rig) the House battery has a cable that runs into the bus and into a old style RV control panel.... a Megatek 45amp panel. I am thankful that it was included but confused initially as it was NOT connected to anything!! No shore power receptacle, let alone to actual shore power. Included WAS a 30amp shore power lead. Despite NOT being connected to shore power.... that House Battery was connected to the fuse panel and the fuse panel had ONE item connected to it... a driver's fan... a nice heavy duty variable speed steel old timer type that can be aimed at the driver... which is better than nothing when driving down the road without air conditioning! The young couple I bought the rig from must have set that up that way so they could at least have air circulation while boon docked and working on the bus, without affecting the START Bank.

9. I suspect that the first place I will go, after having to move, will most likely be an RV camp, so I decided to get a 30a receptacle and install it so I can access shore power. That was a learning experience as I had to get a hole saw and drill through very tough school bus shell steel... heehee... and very rewarding when I succeeded!

10. Prior to hooking up the Megatek panel to shore power, I disconnected the House Bank, because internet research about that panel revealed that the charger was notorious for overcharging batteries. While those House batteries are NOT ideal for what I want to ultimately accomplish, they are what I have and hopefully will function at least temporally, if I am prudent. SO I SHOPPED ON EBAY and came across a deal on an upgraded Progressive Dynamics PD4655V Converter Charger with Intelli-power-wizardry..... it supposedly safely charges lead batteries. I got it really cheap because the housing was bent, it was missing a cable, the pins that cable were suppose to connect to were bent, and a large resistor was broken off. They normally sell for over $2oo and I got it for $51 and then when I pointed out to the seller that the ad said it came with everything the mfg provides, yet was missing that cable, they kindly gave me a partial refund, so I got it for about $40 dollars.

I looked up the mfg... Progressive Dynamics... to get the missing cable and broken resistor. straightening the metal case was easily done, had a old friend desolder the old resistor legs out of the board and soldered in the new resistor.... while I looked on to learn... and I gently bent back the bent pins. to plug in the cable that connects the 'wizard' to the fuse panel, where an led light indicates the charging mode.

I reconnected the House Bank to the Distribution Panel, which now has a new fuse panel as well, since it came with the upgraded converter charger.

I plugged in my shore power... with a ponytail for 15amp extension cord.

I put a cheap 'cigarette style' volt meter into a receptacle that has battery clamps, onto the House battery, which I had already used my volt meter on to determine that it was indeed low in charge. I flipped on the Distribution Panel Breakers and anxiously hustled out to look at that volt meter! To my relief... the charger seemed to be doing its job!

I continued to monitor the charging process and it went through all the phases that the literature claimed it would do! So I am delighted of course.

11. After watching one of your videos, I used part of my meager monthly 'luxury fund' (anything not spent on actual bills) which is also my food budget... to get one of those AlLi Battery Monitors with a 350a shunt. Maybe overkill on the shunt but I do hope to have a better battery bank in the future.

I think I understand how I would hook it up, to monitor the House Bank. The Shunt has to be the only thing connected to the Far Negative battery.... then all other negative things go to the other end of the shunt.

12. I also purchased on ebay a used locking Perko Switch... 1, 2, 1+2, Off and Lock..... JUST in case I need that somehow.

13. SOOOOO.... my question is..... can I have the shore line powered converter/ charger connected to BOTH banks, so the Starter Bank can be charged, either separately or together, with the House Bank? Would I do this with that switch, mentioned above... OR... with neg and pos Bus Bars with both banks coming into it on one side and going out to the Dist. Panel battery connections? There is NOT room for two sets of big wire to connect directly into those panel connectors.

14. ALSO... do you recommend that I use inline fuses on the battery cables?

I hope I have adequately described the electrical situation and my desire to have both banks charging when the vehicle is driven and ALSO both banks maintained with shore power charging.

IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR, THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS IN DOING SO.

Any and all assistance is appreciated!

7. take a picture
13: the product your looking at is called a battery isolator. many options to pick from.

I am not looking to buy anything... "many options available"....

If they are both referred to as battery isolater, then I can appreciate that.

The ugo one... referred to in item 7.... is functioning, even if it is ugly. LOL installed under the hood and appears to be doing its thing, automatically.

The item I referred to in 13 as a switch, allows one to select between the banks and can be switched off.

No. 7 is already installed and working fine. I have no issue with it.

No. 13 is in my possession but not currently connected to anything.

What I am wondering is whether or not I can use it.... to attach to both House and Starter Banks... and to the Distribution Panel, where the Converter Charger can charge them both.... one at a time or together... while on shore power.

It is my understanding that the battery isolater under the hood ONLY does its thing when the vehicle is running and the shore power converter would only be charging when plugged into the shore power.

I am new to this... but what I am thinking I can do with that 'switch isolater' makes sense to me... but of course, my ignorance demands I find out from those who are more knowledgeable...

I dont know the details of that isolator you sent in the pic, but most work the same of that style. If you attach the output of your shore power connected charger to the center post it SHOULD charge both batts. All 3 of those terminals should be +. You should make a wire diagram in paint or something if you want some detailed help.

the 'switch isolater" is just used for cutting power to the batts when not is use. SOME of them do have built in isolators to keep both banks from discharging one another.

Provided the isolator diodes are good, they prevent hotel loads from drawing down the starting battery. The isolator also prevents the converter from charging the start battery.
Without expending more $$$ your start battery must rely on the alternator for charging & should stay charged if the system is wired correctly.

Last edited:
Provided the isolator diodes are good, they prevent hotel loads from drawing down the starting battery. The isolator also prevents the converter from charging the start battery.
Without expending more $$$ your start battery must rely on the alternator for charging & should stay charged if the system is wired correctly.

Thank you for responding.

I do want the banks to be separate, so I can keep the start bank protected from house draws, but both need to be able to be charged in either state... either via alternator, while vehicle running... or by shore power, when motor is not running.

How would I check the diodes of the Perko switch isolater?

Thanks again.

I dont know the details of that isolator you sent in the pic, but most work the same of that style. If you attach the output of your shore power connected charger to the center post it SHOULD charge both batts. All 3 of those terminals should be +. You should make a wire diagram in paint or something if you want some detailed help.

the 'switch isolater" is just used for cutting power to the batts when not is use. SOME of them do have built in isolators to keep both banks from discharging one another.

Thank you, for responding.

Is this what you mean? If so, it is what I had in mind.

This explains what I hope to accomplish. Because the switch allows either 12 volt battery (or both) to be connected to the Distribution Panel ( charger / converter). So if I place it between the two battery banks, I should be good to go.

Though I do need to get a common negative post, as shown in the following Perko video.
Later when I can upgrade the system, I will go with the more expensive bus bars.

Last edited:
The video is about a marine bass boat situation. It would not apply in your case.
Of paramount import is too NOT drain the start battery while parked. Its purpose in your system is to start the engine & work with the alternator to support the vehicle's primary operational electrical needs.
IT IS NOT FOR USE AS AN AUXILIARY BATTERY TO SUPPORT THE HOTEL ELECTRICAL LOADS.
Your isolator is essentially 2 large diodes hooked back to back with the alternator post at the junction. Each battery is hooked to the opposite end of their own diode. The current path is from each battery to the center post (diodes are one-way devices). The hotel diode blocks flow from the center post to the battery but allows flow from the battery to the center post (alternator charging). The same is true for the starting battery. This blocking keeps the 2 circuits isolated.

If you purchase a second isolator (2 or 3 post) you could hook the hotel battery + to its Alt post & the starting + to the start battery post I'd use short jumpers between the old isolator & this new one. With this new configuration you will still be isolating the start battery from supplying hotel loads & isolating the hotel battery from getting to the vehicle electrics but still allowing the converter to charge the start battery.

I can draw a schematic but it will be a while.

Why are you suggesting that I am a complete idiot , who does not grasp the concept of 'isolation' and protecting a Start Bank from House Bank draws, DESPITE MY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT TO THE LATTER, made previously, when I noted the following?:

"I do want the banks to be separate, so I can keep the start bank protected from house draws, but both need to be able to be charged in either state... either via alternator, while vehicle running... or by shore power, when motor is not running. "

How more plainly could I express that understanding?

Where did I ever suggest a desire or intent to use the Start Bank, to supplement the House Bank? No such suggestion exists.

With that said... LOL....

I DO appreciate your diagram and the time and effort to share it! The layout and labels are very clear. THANK YOU FOR THAT.

ALSO ACTUALLY HELPFUL, is your explanation.... , as to why I would connect the House bank to the Alt (Common) post of the Perko Switch Isolator, (the secondary or new isolator).... rather than to one of the battery posts, as is done on the OLD Isolator.

Best Regards

@RiverElf

Please accept my apology. My aim was to explain the theory why. Those who read these threads present a knowledge base that covers the full spectrum. I wanted to be clear to all who might follow our trail.

Apology accepted and thank you again, for sharing your knowledge. I will hopefully be able to test your recommendation, soon! Best regards.

Back