diy solar

diy solar

How do I hook up a 12v panel that has multiple cigarette lighter connections?

tsunami3775

I bought this 12v multiple cigarette lighter outlet and need help understanding how to wire it to my 12v battery. I would connect it straight with a fuse between but i wonder if I plug in multiple cigarette lighter plugs then it might go over capacity? How does that work electrical wise? I don’t understand how the current could handle multiple 12v power consumptions at one time from one 12v battery. Or maybe it connects to 120v? I’m not sure. I don’t see a good description from the manufacturer on how to wire it. Please advise! Thank you!

Attachments

• E2EADE39-DB2A-4F49-92C4-2DBB03585D48.jpeg
    E2EADE39-DB2A-4F49-92C4-2DBB03585D48.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 2AF75C75-AA29-480A-AFC6-143894DF30DD.jpeg
    2AF75C75-AA29-480A-AFC6-143894DF30DD.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 15
I would connect it straight with a fuse between but i wonder if I plug in multiple cigarette lighter plugs then it might go over capacity?
Do you see any amp ratings on any of the plugs? Or a wire gauge on the wires? Any amp numbers on your paperwork or ad?

Its definitely 12V so a fuse near the battery is necessary. The question is how many amps it can handle, not the number of things plugged into it.

What are you expecting to run from this panel?

Last edited:
Hook up the switch red wire to a 12v fused wire. Black wire to - (gd). Done. Usually the fuse size depends on the wire size but a smaller fuse never hurts. All the outlets are wired parallel so you 120 volt comment was nonsense (dangerous).

The negative terminal on the battery, or a common ground that is connected to the neg side of the battery.

I have something similar, but with USB and 12v sockets. The wires are OK but I doubt they will handle more than a few amps (less than 10A) safely. Please check your wires and make sure that all sockets have an appropriate wire guage.
Also, I doubt that the switch will be able to handle 30A...
If you are running light loads on each socket, you might be OK.

Are you planning on maxing those plugs out with heavy loads? There's no reason that you have to use the wires as they come with that unit. I would consider splitting those sockets into two circuits with two fused feeds coming from the power supply.

Or maybe it connects to 120v
DO NOT DO THAT EVER
says maximum of 360 watt output. 360 watts
Amazon listing says 120W at 12V total in one place and “power” 360W in another

Which is 10A, maybe not 30?
Having bought cheap switches like that I’m thinking the switch is 20A
Can you pull the switch out and read the specs on it?

Back