diy solar

diy solar

How do PV wires enter a conduit for roof penetration?

Barbar0ssa

I am putting 8 panels (at 2S for 8 conductors + ground) on my roof. I want to run them through about 10 ft of conduit into the garage. I have a roof-penetration flashing that can handle the 1" emt conduit, but how do I actually run the 9 wires into the conduit in a weather-tight way?

I have seen "weather heads" and I am currently considering running the 9 smaller wires through it. They all appear to be designed for 3 larger conductors for main service entry so I might have to drill more holes. Then I guess I could use some kind of putty or something to keep the water out.

I am sure there is a right way to do this but I can't find it anywhere so advice would be appreciated.

Somewhere I saw MC4 fittings in a waterproof box but I don’t know where that was

Do you need a roof penetration?
Mine is all on the exterior (conduit runs off the roof edge next to the service entrance (labeled "PV in the photo below and painted the same color as the house to minimize ugliness).

1598017157586-png.20502

Nice looking setup.
You’d need a lot more away-pitch in northern New England. :)

They make a junction box thats flashed for roof installs. Weather head can work but your wires are exposed before going in unless its under the panels

I am putting 8 panels (at 2S for 8 conductors + ground) on my roof. I want to run them through about 10 ft of conduit into the garage. I have a roof-penetration flashing that can handle the 1" emt conduit, but how do I actually run the 9 wires into the conduit in a weather-tight way?

I have seen "weather heads" and I am currently considering running the 9 smaller wires through it. They all appear to be designed for 3 larger conductors for main service entry so I might have to drill more holes. Then I guess I could use some kind of putty or something to keep the water out.

I am sure there is a right way to do this but I can't find it anywhere so advice would be appreciated.
use 2 of these with a "bell box" before going into the conduit

Back