diy solar

diy solar

how does an ac surge protector work on an rv?

John Frum

Tell me your problems
In a typical RV the only connection to a grounding electrode occurs when the shore power cord is attached to the pedestal.

An induced surge could come into the system on the shore power cord.
During the surge; hot, neutral and ground could all be at several thousand volts.
When the surge protector activates, its going to try to shunt hot and neutral to ground via the grounding electrode upstream of the pedestal.
Am I understanding this correctly?

Assuming you are connected to shore power...
If you have surge protection device on the pv domain it is also going to shunt to ground via the grounding electrode upstream of the pedestal?

What happens if there is no path to the dirt because you are not connected to shore power?

In a typical RV the only connection to a grounding electrode occurs when the shore power cord is attached to the pedestal.

An induced surge could come into the system on the shore power cord.
During the surge; hot, neutral and ground could all be at several thousand volts.
When the surge protector activates, its going to try to shunt hot and neutral to ground via the grounding electrode upstream of the pedestal.
Am I understanding this correctly?

It connects hot and neutral. Neutral to ground. Depending.

Surge protectors are not lightning arrestors so no grounding rod is needed for them to operate.

In your example, you say during your theoretical surge that all 3 conductors are at the same voltage potential that would be a lightning strike.

It connects hot and neutral. Neutral to ground. Depending.

Surge protectors are not lightning arrestors so no grounding rod is needed for them to operate.

In your example, you say during your theoretical surge that all 3 conductors are at the same voltage potential that would be a lightning strike.
An induced surge is not necessarily a lightning strike.

There is some surge protection using MOV thyristors or similar. Also monitors voltage and if out of range opens the relay. Also tracks N-G bond and will open the relay. Frequency is monitored with again the relay as the disconnect.

Close hit from lightning... forgetaboutit. Going to jump right over.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net

EMSHW50C-5.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming you are connected to shore power...
If you have surge protection device on the pv domain it is also going to shunt to ground via the grounding electrode upstream of the pedestal?

Probably not, how would the surge from the pedestal enter the PV? In order to have an inverter onboard an RV and still maintain shore power capability, a transfer switch is a requirement.

What happens if there is no path to the dirt because you are not connected to shore power?

If you are inline with a lightning strike in your RV and it jumps to dirt, you're screwed. But you said no path to dirt.

An induced surge is not necessarily a lightning strike.

A good example is a tree striking the 115kv high line and then connecting with a service drop or secondary line lower on the pole.

This happens at my house only the lower line is phone and TV.

These surges do not reach the equipment because the coax is grounded to power at the service entrance, not because it's connected earth.20171130_083537.jpg

Last edited:
@time2roll gave me the info I was looking for.
In addition to varistors the rv shore power surge protector has relays to isolate the rv.

Last edited:
A good example is a tree striking the 115kv high line and then connecting with a service drop or secondary line lower on the pole.

This happens at my house only the lower line is phone and TV.

These surges do not reach the equipment because the coax is grounded to power at the service entrance, not because it's connected earth.View attachment 131070
Lightning strikes do need a path to earth…

Some campgrounds require your RV to have a surge protector. Maybe they don't trust the power company.
Every campground I have been to uses buried power lines to the pedestal. That reduces local lightning strikes.

Last edited:
So if all 3 conductors are at same potential, why would the equipment get damaged?
Your assuming they all hit that potential at the same instant, not likely.
I also did ESD testing on various chip designs. Some of the energy will slip thru, which is why a 2 stage approach is used.
That pulse is actually a complex mixing of frequencies (wave lengths) some of them will be at zero volts right where you short them all to ground. That energy passes right thru. This was easy to explain to RF designers.

Your assuming they all hit that potential at the same instant, not likely.
I also did ESD testing on various chip designs. Some of the energy will slip thru, which is why a 2 stage approach is used.
That pulse is actually a complex mixing of frequencies (wave lengths) some of them will be at zero volts right where you short them all to ground. That energy passes right thru.This was easy to explain to RF designers.

Point being, their are different kinds of surge protectors.

Surge protectors can protect from lightning but it depends on the setup.

Back