diy solar

diy solar

How does Growatt 5000ES work?

westcoaststank

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

It seems the Growatt 5000ES will fit my needs perfectly (aside from figuring out how to get it to output 120v via a transformer or something, but I've read something can be done)

My question is; how does the Growatt act as an MPPT SCC and an inverter at the same time? Can this single unit charge the batteries and output (what will be) 120v at the same time? I won't have any utility power, so it will all be solar and my 48v battery system.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how this unit will work. If the sun is down and I'm 100% on battery for the night, the Growatt acts as a pure sine wave inverter correct?

During the daytime, if my batteries are charging but I'm also using an appliance inside, the Growatt will charge the batteries AND provide pure sine wave power to the appliance?

I guess my confusion comes because I'm used to the sequence of: Solar Panels>MPPT SCC>Batteries>Inverter>120v appliance. With this sequence I can easily understand how the energy flows, during the day, at night, and while charging/using appliance at the same time.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!!

All of these AiO units simply have two devices inside the same box. There's an inverter in there and a MPPT controller in there.

If you're looking at an EU spec model that only outputs 230VAC/50Hz, you're probably better served getting a different model if you need 120VAC.

If your in the US you should avoid this unit, but you are correct it will work as you are hoping. You can also set the priority to be Solar or Batteries (or grid). I have mine set to solar, the AC unit takes about 1500W of power, so the Growatt takes the 1250W of solar available and sends it to the AC unit....my battery shunt shows the batteries chilling with just 250W of drain while this is going on, unaffected by the AC for the most part.

My unit works great, and I have read multiple people say the auto-transformer needed for the 120 neutral is reliable....but 20 years from now if I happen to still have that same transformer and it stops working my stuff could be damaged...not worth the risk if you can avoid this from the start, but I already had purchased my units.

Last edited:
Back