diy solar

diy solar

How does one charge a dead lithium battery

CanAus

Short version
newly delivered Growatt 100ah lithium battery arrived with so little charge my system didn’t recognise it. How do I recharge the battery?

long Version
i bought an off grid cabin and ripped out the entire DIY solar system except the panels. I rewired everything, installed safety switches etc, bought the Growatt spf 5000es and Growatt Hope 4.8L-C1 lithium iron phosphate 100ah battery from an authorised Growatt dealer online. Wired it up to look all professional. Patted myself on the back. Turned the system on today and … nothing. The battery was so low that alarms were going off. No battery Recognised. On the battery itself one light came on. They delivered a battery that wasn’t charged. ive read that one can trickle charge them and I should have done that before turning on the system so that’s my fault. But how do I charge it? I doubt I can use a 12v trickle charger on a 48v server rack battery? ive asked Professor google and got conflicting answers. I checked here and couldn’t find anything. What can I use to re-charge my batteries?

thanks to all who reply.

Did you see a spark when you connected the battery to the spf 5000es?
Did you do pre-charge using resistor on the charge controller? The BMS in the battery may have gone into shutdown due to high inrush current of the capacitor banks in the spf 5000es.
You will need to wake up the battery some with another 48V battery or the charger that do not perform the pre-test to see if the battery has any Voltage or not. You may try using six 9V batteries connected in series then connect to the battery for seconds to wake up the battery (nothing else connected to the battery while doing this) then use the Volt meter to check to see if you get the Voltage back.

If you disconnect the inverter (spf 5000 es) you should be able to turn the battery off and on again.

After the battery turns on again, leave the inverter disconnected and charge the battery with your solar charger.

Did you see a spark when you connected the battery to the spf 5000es?
Did you do pre-charge using resistor on the charge controller? The BMS in the battery may have gone into shutdown due to high inrush current of the capacitor banks in the spf 5000es.
You will need to wake up the battery some with another 48V battery or the charger that do not perform the pre-test to see if the battery has any Voltage or not. You may try using six 9V batteries connected in series then connect to the battery for seconds to wake up the battery (nothing else connected to the battery while doing this) then use the Volt meter to check to see if you get the Voltage back.
No spark as I have breakers in between.
i did pre charged with a resistor
thats a neat trick with the 9 volt.
unfortunatly I don’t have another 48v battery
thanks for the advice.

If you disconnect the inverter (spf 5000 es) you should be able to turn the battery off and on again.

After the battery turns on again, leave the inverter disconnected and charge the battery with your solar charger.
I’m not sure I can do that as the Growatt is an all in one system. I’ll try the disconnect reconnect and see if that helps. Thanks.

Back