diy solar

diy solar

How efficient is your generator?

Just watched a @DavidPoz youtube - he tested an eu6500is and got 2.59kw/gal (at 7:20 in vid) and a es2200i got 4.32kwh/gal (11:22 in vid) doing ~1000w charge in both cases. Wow - quite a difference - presumably the %load on the generator makes a whopping difference.

Just watched a @DavidPoz youtube - he tested an eu6500is and got 2.59kw/gal (at 7:20 in vid) and a es2200i got 4.32kwh/gal (11:22 in vid) doing ~1000w charge in both cases. Wow - quite a difference - presumably the %load on the generator makes a whopping difference.

It is my understanding that you want to run a generator at 50% of the rated continuous running load to achieve best efficiency.

It is my understanding that you want to run a generator at 50% of the rated continuous running load to achieve best efficiency.

50% to 75% depending on the generator. You also want to make sure you run higher than the generator minimum load ratio (usually with larger generators).

50% to 75% depending on the generator. You also want to make sure you run higher than the generator minimum load ratio (usually with larger generators).
This thread has highlighted once again the difference between my rose-colored glasses and the actual practicalities of generating power. I was focusing on 'max generator output' and didn't even consider 'most efficient' as being that significant. The @DavidPoz vid above was quite dramatic in terms of kwh/gal of fuel.

I'm working on a powerwall charging system. Just ordered the 8,000w Champion - https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Champion-100297-Portable-Generator/p67310.html - dual fuel + 8 x 15a chargers - https://www.ebay.com/itm/284647244994 - to give me 120a @ 48v charging ability. But I need to tamper my expectations from 7000w charging to maybe 5000w for efficiency because my propane storage situation is limited. Since I have a large powerwall as a buffer and don't need direct powering of home circuits it would be good to get the most kwhs/gal of fuel as a goal. 5000w would be enough as the average consumption is 2,700wh.

The plan is to create a bank of 15a chargers and be able to turn them on/off individually to adjust the load on the generator. With all 8 turned on I'll have 120a @ 56v = 6,720w. On propane this should reach or go over the efficient range of this generator and if needed can add more chargers. This will give the option of max charging but would be good to know the best fuel economy charging numbers. When I get it setup I run some tests and report back :)

Last edited:
This thread has highlighted once again the difference between my rose-colored glasses and the actual practicalities of generating power. I was focusing on 'max generator output' and didn't even consider 'most efficient' as being that significant. The @DavidPoz vid above was quite dramatic in terms of kwh/gal of fuel.

I'm working on a powerwall charging system. Just ordered the 8,000w Champion - https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Champion-100297-Portable-Generator/p67310.html - dual fuel + 8 x 15a chargers - https://www.ebay.com/itm/284647244994 - to give me 120a @ 48v charging ability. But I need to tamper my expectations from 7000w charging to maybe 5000w for efficiency because my propane storage situation is limited. Since I have a large powerwall as a buffer and don't need direct powering of home circuits it would be good to get the most kwhs/gal of fuel as a goal. 5000w would be enough as the average consumption is 2,700wh.

The plan is to create a bank of 15a chargers and be able to turn them on/off individually to adjust the load on the generator. With all 8 turned on I'll have 120a @ 56v = 6,720w. On propane this should reach or go over the efficient range of this generator and if needed can add more chargers. This will give the option of max charging but would be good to know the best fuel economy charging numbers. When I get it setup I run some tests and report back :)
Just a thought wouldn’t you be more efficient with fewer larger chargers? Seems there are inefficiencies in all chargers and by stacking many small chargers you are just making it worse. Wouldn’t 1, 2 or 3 larger chargers be more efficient?

Just a thought wouldn’t you be more efficient with fewer larger chargers? Seems there are inefficiencies in all chargers and by stacking many small chargers you are just making it worse. Wouldn’t 1, 2 or 3 larger chargers be more efficient?
Good thought. I went with 48v @ 15a because it's the largest I could find for $131 and I have 3 x YZPOWER 15a chargers already and they seem to work well. Above 15a there are very few options for 14s lithium-ion and if you find them they are huge $.

I also have 120a @ 48v charging (with charging amp adjustment) thru my AIMS 12,000w inverter - but it's a different mode of operation than straight offgrid with no AC input. I'm not clear how charging(intermittent AC Input) works together with off-grid inverting. I'll have to do some experiments.

Last edited:
I think 90% efficiency from 5 different chargers is still 90% efficiency right? I don't think it's 10% from every charger making it a total of 50% efficiency?

I think 90% efficiency from 5 different chargers is still 90% efficiency right? I don't think it's 10% from every charger making it a total of 50% efficiency?
I would read that as 90% per charger which would make sense. Inverter is 96% efficient but that is each. So two would have a 4% loss per inverter. I get what your saying and you may be correct however with a larger charger your efficiency goes up so one large charger might be 95% efficient whereas a single small charger might be 90%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please look at my video using a growatt inverter as a charger. And a champion 8000W generator
Simpler and cheaper than a bunch of chargers

Please look at my video using a growatt inverter as a charger. And a champion 8000W generator
Simpler and cheaper than a bunch of chargers

Looks like a Growatt 5000ES can do 80a at 48v charging for $738 based on this link - https://www.growatt-inverter.com/product/spf-5000-es/ Not a bad idea - and nice setup!
1671927037844.png

The 8 x YZPOWER 15a chargers I ordered will get me 120a total charging for $1000 - so I'd say the $ are similar for me as I have what I need to do the hookup.

I’m betting the efficiency of the growatt is higher than the small ones.
YZPOWER https://www.ebay.com/itm/284647244994 says.....
Efficiency: >87%

AIMS Battery Charger - https://www.aimscorp.net/ac-convert...art-charger-75-amps-listed-to-ul-458-csa.html
Efficiency80%

EV onboard charger efficiencies - https://pushevs.com/2020/10/22/calculating-on-board-chargers-efficiency/
Renault Twingo ZE - 70 %
Dacia Spring Electric - 85 %
Volkswagen ID.3 Pro S - 88 %
Peugeot e-208 - 77 %
Nissan LEAF - 78 %
Kia e-Soul - 90 %
Kia e-Niro - 88 %
Tesla Model 3 LR - 79 %

GroWatt charger efficiency? - couldn't find anything but from the above, it looks like 90% efficiency would be top tier.

------------------------------------
Another tidbit I found interesting... the Champion 8000w Generator docs says:
1671927686984.png
My home is ~1500ft above sea level so I'm going to loose 5.25% generator efficiency?!?

At this rate, I'll be lucky to get any charge into the batteries :)

Last edited:
The YZPOWER https://www.ebay.com/itm/284647244994 says.....
● Efficiency: >87%

The GroWatt charger efficiency? The DC ->AC is listed at 93% Peak but not sure AC -> DC is the same.

Found this for AIMS Battery Charger - https://www.aimscorp.net/ac-convert...art-charger-75-amps-listed-to-ul-458-csa.html
Efficiency80%

Another tidbit I found interesting... the Champion 8000w Generator docs says:
View attachment 126220
My home is ~1500ft above sea level so I'm going to loose 5.25% generator efficiency?!? I'll be lucky to get any charge into the batteries :)
Mine is 96% AC to DC

Attachments

• 1BA2B146-0F8B-4947-8B99-24D672B70B59.png
    1BA2B146-0F8B-4947-8B99-24D672B70B59.png
    753.4 KB · Views: 6
Yes, my Sol-Ark is much much better at charging than any chinesium battery charger of course. Here is a link to a 25a battery charger I bought of Alibaba. It didn't meet very many rated specs, but it does the job, and the price was right:

Receiving and specs:

Results:

Basically rated for 93%, and ended up being 90.5%. Rated for 25a, only puts out 22.5a.

YMMV.

My real point is that the Growatt is probably much more efficient than the small ones. Might not be 96% but I bet it’s over 90%. I just don’t think the multiple small chargers are going to do what you think. Maybe but if you efficiency is one of your top priorities then I’m betting not. Heck just on connections alone your potential for inefficiency is greater. Every connection has some loss.

My real point is that the Growatt is probably much more efficient than the small ones. Might not be 96% but I bet it’s over 90%. I just don’t think the multiple small chargers are going to do what you think. Maybe but if you efficiency is one of your top priorities then I’m betting not. Heck just on connections alone your potential for inefficiency is greater. Every connection has some loss.
I appreciate/identify with you're enthusiasm :) However, without specs or tests - I wouldn't make declarations about GroWatt, especially since they don't publish it in their user manual.

Also, just because SolArk says 96% doesn't mean that it's 96% at all charging levels - there's usually some conditions such as % charging and temperature. It could be true for all common conditions but with actual testing....

I'll give you an example. My AIMS inverters list DC -> AC inverting at >88% peak efficiency. The highest I've gotten is 83% at significant % loads (>30% continuous overall loading) and the lowest is 78% at low load (<10%) levels. That's a 5% variation in efficiency based on % load revealed from several years of consistent metrics.

--------------
Merry Christmas to all - off to see the neighborhood lights :)

Last edited:
I appreciate/identify with you're enthusiasm :) However, without specs or tests - I wouldn't make declarations about GroWatt, especially since they don't publish it in their user manual.

Also, just because SolArk says 96% doesn't mean that it's 96% at all charging levels - there's usually some conditions such as % charging and temperature. It could be true for all common conditions but with actual testing....

I'll give you an example. My AIMS inverters list DC -> AC inverting at >88% peak efficiency. The highest I've gotten is 83% at significant % loads (>30% continuous overall loading) and the lowest is 78% at low load (<10%) levels. That's a 5% variation in efficiency based on % load revealed from several years of consistent metrics.

--------------
Merry Christmas to all - off to see the neighborhood lights :)
Documentation you want documentation you get. 90 days in operation 96% lifetime in real time at all charging levels. Not enthusiastic just a realist. Actual testing from a Victron Shunt and not from the inverter. I stand by my statement a single quality charger will be more efficient than multiple small ones.

Attachments

• E7B19DBE-7CC1-42C3-8F02-DF1FBD609CB9.png
    E7B19DBE-7CC1-42C3-8F02-DF1FBD609CB9.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Documentation you want documentation you get. 90 days in operation 96% lifetime in real time at all charging levels. Not enthusiastic just a realist. Actual testing from a Victron Shunt and not from the inverter. I stand by my statement a single quality charger will be more efficient than multiple small ones.
Correct me if I’m wrong but the smart shunt is messing on the DC side in the negative line what goes in and out of the battery. So the eff is the battery efficiency and not of the charger from AC to DC.
If you can measure on the AC side of a charger and on the DC how much energy goes in and comes out an eff calculation can be made. But the smart shunt just indicates battery efficiency which is around 4% for a lifepo4.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the smart shunt is messing on the DC side in the negative line what goes in and out of the battery. So the eff is the battery efficiency and not of the charger from AC to DC.
If you can measure on the AC side of a charger and on the DC how much energy goes in and comes out an eff calculation can be made. But the smart shunt just indicates battery efficiency which is around 4% for a lifepo4.
Funny because they are advertised at 99%. I wonder if the BMS has to do with the extra losses? Or just inaccuracies of the shunt?

Back