diy solar

diy solar

How good of an electrician are you?

You got just a bit of this wrong

120/208 is wye three phase, all legs are 120 volts to ground....so black, red, blue

On 120/240 Delta hi-leg

L1 is 120 to ground
L2 is 120 to ground
L3 is varying voltage approx 165-180 volts...not 277 volts

on 480/277 WYE three phase all three legs are “non standard voltage” thus, tan, brown, orange (277 to ground)

and yes always be wary of that orange wire, the voltage is not declared but it will be a “non standard voltage”

After i pooped out on EMI/RFI in the communications division of GE I transferred into power systems so i did a lot of feild analysis in GE turboshaft generators which are widely used as backup power in mission critical applications.
Did mostly 2 mw to 8 mw units both jet-A and natural gas in N+1 arrays. So a bunch of big power experience before I retired from corporate bulls##t

unlike parallel inverters which is almost always one master and one or more slaves on a N+1 system no single one is the master, first one to respond is master and and the others are slaved to the master. If you need 6 generators at a minimum then you have 7 in the N+1 net so anyone can fail and another will come on line. These were used to power hospitals in a 100% no fail 24/7/365 situation
The wild leg on 120/240 delta would be 208v due to the way the math works out. About 5 years ago I worked with a remote community to transition from 120/240 Delta to 120/208 Wye (we were undergrounding the electrical service and replacing all the transformers, so took the opportunity to modernize)

Back