diy solar

diy solar

How hackers are reducing pollution by creating a U.S. Gas Crisis

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Affected by the gas shortage? This fake interview might amuse you:

Segei Antropovolini, lead hacker that hacked Colonial Pipe causing a shortage in the southeast united states said, "It was something we had to do as responsible citizens of the world. The U.S. needs to dump the ICE, and a shortage will make them think harder about it.

At first I didn't think we'd be able to do it, this is the U.S. we're talking about, their country has been hardening for cyber warfare since the 80's when student prank's embedded escape codes in emails causing their ANSI screens to do funny things. But, their security was pretty much a joke, who uses "password" as a password?

The next big challenge was what to attack? I had no idea how disorganized those big companies really are. We had to get into everyone's emails to see where all the infighting was. We're thinking about writing a script for a lifetime movie, some of those emails about the infighting and who's bonkin who... you just wouldn't believe it. Thier own IT group spies on everyone. We finally got our big break on how to cripple them from the CEO's junk mail. A couple of the junior engineers had written them numerous times warning of the dangers and where they needed to beef up security or risk losing control. We just followed their instructions, those guys knew exactly the right points to target.

This has been successful beyond our wildest beliefs. We thought we'd have to fake some emails to cause internal confusion, but it turned into a mess all on its own. People freaked out, filling up their tanks even though they didn't need to. Despite anti-gouging laws in every affected state, prices went up, some doubling -- and best of all the administration declared its not a shortage, so they might not even get prosecuted.

What's next for these planet-fighters?
We're going to Disney world, but don't tell anyone.

So yeah, the emergency reserve light came on and had to hunt for gas yesterday, found some, paid a lot for a few gallons, and kept thinking I should have taken the EV (which I didn't because the ICE vehicle had the tools in it).

715h0d32pQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If the administration was serious about this, they would declare it an act of terrorism and put out a kill order on the hackers.

There is vast corruption in the US government today and it would surprise few if these manipulations are really cover for massive money transfers to designated or selected channels....otherwise not legally qualified to receive such funds.

Were we even told how much was secretly paid?

According to Wired, we'll pay $5M (that is the company paid, but they'll pass that on to the consumers).

According to Wired, we'll pay $5M (that is the company paid, but they'll pass that on to the consumers).
No we as consumer will pay 10 times that as it trickles down and goes one way to never return back the other way on prices. Best way to get someone in a EV, price them out their current ride. Not saying this latest dilemma is it, but it's coming.

No we as consumer will pay 10 times that ...
Probably more as every time someone gives in to piracy it teaches others they too can make money at it.
If no one ever paid, that industry would dry up in no time.

The hacktivists are saving the world while steeling money from the destroyers. The cost only get's passed on to people burning gas.
More of everyone pays, gas, electric or no vehicle. Products that everyday people buy don't walk themselves to the stores.

It would be fun if the hackers would organize a vote for who we want hacked next. But that would give the victim warning.
I suspect they can hack and trap anybody they want to. Paying the 500 million sure added motivation.

It would be fun if the hackers would organize a vote for who we want hacked next.
To be fair, despite my attempt at humor in the OP, these guys weren't hactivists, they were honest-to-gosh pirates probably working for organized crime. Any good they may have done for the environment was purely accidental.

Several news “reporters” claim it will be an assault on the national electrical grid.
I'm more with @ArthurEld on that, why rob the place with armed guards while the bank down the road has no one inside, the vault and back door are wide open?

Although, my tiny local power co-op has been hardening its systems for months so they're not as vulnerable.

I think that's not true.
If you meant the OP, you're correct...all fictional humor.

There's a lot of people hacking away. I've heard of people getting in arguments on forums and one of the guys starts hacking into the other guys stuff live while they are still arguing.
Be careful who you piss off.

Back