diy solar

diy solar

How many batteries?

JaseyB

Hi guys, I have a complete noob question.

I have bought some panels for my van conversion. I have 3 x 320W panels that I plan use to charge my system. The question is how many batteries can I charge with these panels and what's the most efficient way to hook these up and what are the factors that determine this?

All help greatly appreciated. ?

Thanks. ?

You can charge as many as you want. The question is how many batteries do you need to get through a night, or ideally a couple days of bad weather.

An energy audit of your equipment and lighting is in order to determine battery size.

Type also plays a factor. If you're buying "cheap" lead batteries you get less usable power from them but there are also desirable charge rates to worry about whereas lithium is much lighter and lasts longer for the same amount of power BUT costs way more and you need to worry about low temps.

First, start with the specs of the panels. Voltages, current, etc.

Then if you can describe what stuff you'll be powering with the system and whether you'll need an inverter.

What I need is as many fully charged batteries as possible ? ?

I'm thinking LiFePo4 battery cells are possibly the best option. Would this be correct?

Power audits are a little bit beyond me tho. I'll have lights, laptop (using this most of the day) induction hob, water pump for sink and shower, diesel water and air heater, ceiling fan, WiFi router and mobile receiver. Nothing there seems to be too draining IMO. I'll probably get an inverter just incase but unless I need this for my laptop (which I hope not to) then I don't really know that it'll be for but probably necessary at some point.

Does any of this help?

How are your diy skills, and do you know how to figure watts, amps, volts, and the /hours of them?

Oh and if by "induction hob" you mean a cooktop then you'll need an inverter for that. Induction only works with AC.

Lithium is the best option in my opinion if you can DIY the battery pack from individual cells but they have a bit of a temperature limitation.

However that's not an issue if you can use the starter battery/engine to provide the initial heat to get them warmed up to use.

You can do that by literally running the engine and cranking the heat, running small 12v heater pad on the battery, or running the diesel heater from the vehicle battery until its warmed up.

What I need is as many fully charged batteries as possible ? ?

I'm thinking LiFePo4 battery cells are possibly the best option. Would this be correct?

Power audits are a little bit beyond me tho. I'll have lights, laptop (using this most of the day) induction hob, water pump for sink and shower, diesel water and air heater, ceiling fan, WiFi router and mobile receiver. Nothing there seems to be too draining IMO. I'll probably get an inverter just incase but unless I need this for my laptop (which I hope not to) then I don't really know that it'll be for but probably necessary at some point.

Does any of this help?
You could buy yourself a kill-a-watt and simply plug things into it for a day and it will record how much is used. as a rule, anything that deals with heat is a big one. Heat food, heat water, heat air, cooling…

You could buy yourself a kill-a-watt and simply plug things into it for a day and it will record how much is used. as a rule, anything that deals with heat is a big one. Heat food, heat water, heat air, cooling…
Doesn't really work for DC stuff lol

And diesel heaters are really light on power.

Back