diy solar

diy solar

How many cells and why it matters?

Bluedog225

Texas
I’ve been generally paying attention for a while. But I recently notice a post regarding 120, 72 and 60, etc cell panels.

I’ve got a bunch of identical panels (maybe 40-50. And a couple of dozen misc panels. Most in the 395 watt 9 amp neighborhood.

While I’ve generally got a handle on voltage limits, over-paneling, clipping, temperature, etc, I don’t know the deal with how many cells per panel.

Would someone lay some general wisdom on me? Why is this important? And how do I tell? I generally don’t see this on the panel specs on the back of the panel. Do I need to check the spec sheet for each brand I have?

thanks

Panels in series need to be matched in their current. Panels (or strings) put in parallel need to match in their voltage.

You can put a 72 cell panel in parallel with two series connected 36 cell panels if the two 36 cell panels match in current and the total voltage of the two series connected 36 cell panels together match the voltage of 72 cell panel

Matching doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, but the closer the better. Even identical same model panels have some variations.

Back