diy solar

diy solar

How many hours to top balance cells?

@Ampster , I am waiting on my cells now, and learning this whole process while waiting. I am getting 16 cells to put in a 3P4S configuration with a REC active BMS. I have read that you should put the cells under compression from the start. Could I put the cells in my box, under compression, in the configuration that I need them with no busbars, and use the power supply to take them one at a time up to 3.64V? Then put my busbars and BMS leads on and good to go? I am guessing this may take longer? My thinking is to not have to remove them and reconfigure after top balancing...

If you receive the cells at 50% SOC and charge them individually, that will take a long time.
If you connect them in parallel/series, attach a BMS, then charge it might be 4x faster with bench supply, possibly much faster with PV and charge controller. You could then use bench supply to top off each 3p (or 4p?) group to 3.64V.

That would work.
Just a confirmation that you have 16 cells but 3P4S calculates to 12 cells. Either way 12 cells or 16 cells is heavy. I suspect you are not planning on moving that box without some help.
Oops... 12! I will need some help to move it.

Back