diy solar

diy solar

How many in series and/or parallel

Newbe Europe

I’m new to electricity and Solar panels etc. I’m about to create my first DIY solar system project. It’s meant for powering a small workshop where I’ll be using only 1 or 2 machine at the same time.
This project is on a budget and so far I have 22 used solar panels ‘Soluxtec Das Modul Multi Serie FR60 250Wp’ and a second hand ‘new in box’ Growatt SPF 5000 ES’ hybrid inverter. I intend on using it without a battery pack and no grid tie. Since the inverter has only 1 string input I need/intend to use a combiner box 1200V DC/32A. I’m in Europe, so will configure 220V/230V monophase at 50/60Hz.

My question is regarding the way I should connect the panels. Should I focus more on de VDC or the A input of the inverter input for maximum results, or should I also consider the output?

INVERTER SPECS:
Inverter Output: Rated pouwer 5000VA/5000W, Surge Power 10000VA, Efficiency 93%
Solar Charger: max PV Array power 6000W, MPPT Operating Voltage 120VDC-430DC, max PV Array Open Circuit Voltage 450VDC, max Solar charge current 100A.

Solar panels: Pmax 250Wp, Isc 8.75A, Impp 8.25A, Voc 37.90V, Vmpp 30.40V, max System Voltage 1000V, max Series Fuse 12A

If I’m correct and connect 2 series of 11panels parallel on a combiner box, I end up with 2x 416.9V/8.75A, resulting in 1 ‘combinerbox output/inverter input’ of 416.9V/17.5A(=7295.75W).
(at first glance this seems my prefered configuration, since I use all the available panels and create maximum W)

But if I use 3 series of 7panels parallel on a combiner box, I end up with 3x 265.3V/8.75A, resulting in 1 ‘combinerbox output/inverter input’ of 265.3V/26.25A(=6964.125W?)
(1panel will be ‘backup’/’spareparts’/’unused’ panel)

And if i use 4 series of 5 panels parallel on a combiner box, I end up with 3x189.5V/8.75A, resulting in 1 ‘combinerbox output/inverter input’ of 189.5V/35A(=6632.5W?)
(2panels will be ‘backup’/’spareparts’/’unused’ panels)

Although the V and A of my ‘preference’ seem to meet the specs of the inverter I think I’ll use this configuration unless the ‘W’ create a problem since it exceeds the specs of maximum ‘inverter output’.

If I forgot anything, or if somebody needs more info, just ask. I'll also try to upload/attach all the information that I've gathered so far including an intended schematic overview.

Can anybody advice me on which configuration would be most suited?..... Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• schematic overview.JPG
    schematic overview.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Growatt SPF5000ES specs.png
    Growatt SPF5000ES specs.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 12
  • solar panel specs.jpg
    solar panel specs.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 12
  • combiner box.JPG
    combiner box.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 11
  • additional info about Growatt inverter.jpg
    additional info about Growatt inverter.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 10
I’m new to electricity and Solar panels etc. I’m about to create my first DIY solar system project. It’s meant for powering a small workshop where I’ll be using only 1 or 2 machine at the same time.
This project is on a budget and so far I have 22 used solar panels ‘Soluxtec Das Modul Multi Serie FR60 250Wp’ and a second hand ‘new in box’ Growatt SPF 5000 ES’ hybrid inverter. I intend on using it without a battery pack and no grid tie. Since the inverter has only 1 string input I need/intend to use a combiner box 1200V DC/32A. I’m in Europe, so will configure 220V/230V monophase at 50/60Hz.

My question is regarding the way I should connect the panels. Should I focus more on de VDC or the A input of the inverter input for maximum results, or should I also consider the output?

INVERTER SPECS:
Inverter Output: Rated pouwer 5000VA/5000W, Surge Power 10000VA, Efficiency 93%
Solar Charger: max PV Array power 6000W, MPPT Operating Voltage 120VDC-430DC, max PV Array Open Circuit Voltage 450VDC, max Solar charge current 100A.

Solar panels: Pmax 250Wp, Isc 8.75A, Impp 8.25A, Voc 37.90V, Vmpp 30.40V, max System Voltage 1000V, max Series Fuse 12A

If I’m correct and connect 2 series of 11panels parallel on a combiner box, I end up with 2x 416.9V/8.75A, resulting in 1 ‘combinerbox output/inverter input’ of 416.9V/17.5A(=7295.75W).
(at first glance this seems my prefered configuration, since I use all the available panels and create maximum W)

But if I use 3 series of 7panels parallel on a combiner box, I end up with 3x 265.3V/8.75A, resulting in 1 ‘combinerbox output/inverter input’ of 265.3V/26.25A(=6964.125W?)
(1panel will be ‘backup’/’spareparts’/’unused’ panel)

And if i use 4 series of 5 panels parallel on a combiner box, I end up with 3x189.5V/8.75A, resulting in 1 ‘combinerbox output/inverter input’ of 189.5V/35A(=6632.5W?)
(2panels will be ‘backup’/’spareparts’/’unused’ panels)

Although the V and A of my ‘preference’ seem to meet the specs of the inverter I think I’ll use this configuration unless the ‘W’ create a problem since it exceeds the specs of maximum ‘inverter output’.

If I forgot anything, or if somebody needs more info, just ask. I'll also try to upload/attach all the information that I've gathered so far including an intended schematic overview.

Can anybody advice me on which configuration would be most suited?..... Thanks a lot!
I like your two-in-one out option the best. This assumes the same shade and light levels on all panels. If you have different shade and light throughout the day, it would be better to combine them into groups where the shade is. That way the full sun panels are not dragged down by the section(s) in the shade.
So if all are facing south and no shade or changing light levels, use the two in one for best performance.

Thanks for your reply.

The panels will be put on a designated rig and placed in a field without any shade and will all have the same amount of exposure.
I'm still looking for an angle calculator to determine the best angle for my location.
I'll probable build the rig high/tall enough so it doubles as a carport (I also have 15 additional hail-damaged solar panels and all the panels have a 'base-plate' which doubles as 'selfsupported/integrated roofpanel'). Good enough for storing my backhoe and trailer outside dry, and cheap too! ;)

Back