diy solar

diy solar

How many mah will I get at 5v from a 12v battery?

Dungbeetle

If I take say a 12v 10ah battery, and attach one of those 12v usb hubs, would I technically be getting 20,000mah+ at 5v or still 10,000mah? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, oh roller of poo...

Ah is tied to the given voltage. If you change the voltage, the Ah adjusts.

12v * 10Ah = 120Wh

120Wh / 5V = 24Ah

The above assumes perfect conversion, which you won't get, so your 20Ah is probably more realistic.

Welcome to the forum, oh roller of poo...

Ah is tied to the given voltage. If you change the voltage, the Ah adjusts.

12v * 10Ah = 120Wh

120Wh / 5V = 24Ah

The above assumes perfect conversion, which you won't get, so your 20Ah is probably more realistic.
Thank you!

yes, 24Ah before losses on conversion. its the reason why i always measure battery capacity in Wh, as its the same, regardless if you're down converting to 5v, or inverting to 240V

As @snoobler says

Generally, a switching convertor has an efficiency of 80-90%, 0.8 x 24 = 19.2Ah

A few notes:
- This is the battery capacity, not the actual usable capacity.
Depending on the type of battery(Starter, AGM, LFP), you can only use 50-80% of the rated capacity without sacrificing the life.
- These calculations are based on a switching power supply. A lineair power supply only lowers the voltage and will convert the remaining into heat.
In those cases, the 10Ah will remain 10Ah at 5V. If using eg 5V / 1A, you will also generate 7V x 1A = 7W of continous heat, which requires a heatsink. For some applications, a switching powersupply might not work (but generally it works)

Back