diy solar

diy solar

How many panels can i put on Epever 6415AN

Dacflyer

Can someone advise me if my cipherin` is correct...
I have a EPEVER 6415AN
I plan to have a 48V system.
I have 295W canadian solar panels ( CS6K-295MS )
I know the charge controller can handle 3Kw. I think i can have a total of 8 panels. 4sp2 config. ( about 129VDC input @ about 2360w/max )
someone advise me if i am wrong..I just wanna make sure i am correct in my figures..
Thanx...

I think the specs say 150vdc, 60a max. I would run 3P3S. That should be VOC 120v, ISC 30a and net you 2655w (perfect conditions).

Using 4S puts you at 160voc (over the max)
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)39.5 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc)9.75 A

ok,, so when designing i should go with the OCV rather than the operating voltages ?
Thanks...

Last edited:
I would, but honestly it is like gambling. You should really use OCV + temp correction factor for the coldest ever temperature in your area. Basically what happens if your panels go open circuit on a really cold day? You end up with even more than VOC and fry your charge controller. You never want to go over on voltage. There has been a lot of debate on amperage, but zero on voltage. I think everyone agrees going over max pv input is bad. I think some controllers do have safety margin built in, but others have none because most manufacturers are going to want to put as big a number on their product as possible.

My controller for instance is rated to 2000w pv input and in theory my panels could generate 2500w+ on a perfect day, when the panels are freshly cleaned, sun it at the perfect angle, temps are burr cold, etc, but I have yet to see that day in the six months I have had the system running. My panels have a VOC of 37.6 V (3S=112.8v), but the highest number I have recorded is 103v. That is still significantly more than the panel rated 30.3v though, so I would always use the higher number and maybe round up as well to account for cold temp. Another way to do it (and probably the most conservative) is to use normal panel voltage and the controller PV voltage range. My LV2424 for instance has a PV voltage range of 30-115v (max 145v), so I used 3P which comes in below the voltage range even at VOC.

Anyway sorry for rambling, but I think 3S3P is going to be your best bet to get the highest wattage number unless you pick a different panel spec. If you only have 8 panels and cannot get another one, you could always do 4P2S (~60v, ~40a) but you would have more (and bigger) wiring.

good deal thanks...
I can get a total of 15 panels on my roof, so i'll be buying me another charge controller as well..
3s3p and 3s2p . this will all work out perfectly for me..
I plan on a 48v system.. I will have a total of 6 strings of 14s using the BMW batteries from the Active E cars.
just need to make sure i'll have enough solar to charge them properly.. pretty sure i will be..
just gotta do some more cipherin......lol

Back