diy solar

diy solar

How Many Panels can I put on this AIO Mppt ?

Ohms_Cousin

I am new to mppt's - never used one before so coming to terms with how they work.

The inverter I am looking at gives these spec's;

16kW EU version Mppt specs.PNG

The panels I am interested give these spec's;

Capture.PNG

and the **COLDEST** temps at my location (I am in a hot location but it gets a bit chilly at night - 62F/16C - in June / July we have to break out the jumpers and blankets)

Temps for solar panel calcs.PNG

So it reads to me as 3 Mppt trackers with each tracker having 2 strings and each string is 22A with 450V max voltage and the Mppt range being 250V to 450V.

Seems that I could put 9 of the Risen 700w panels in one string on each of the Mppt's (9 x 47.17 VOC = 424.53v) with a Vmpp of 39.64v to give 356.76v.

Impp is 17.68A - so fits into the 22A limit.

So it seems 9 of these panels are within the working range of this Mppt setup as the temperature rarely gets cooler then about 16C or 62F - so panel voltage wont spike because of cold temps.

What i am not sure about is if that is 22A per String for each of the 3 trackers ?

This is my first time to try to figure out matching panels to an Mppt so any guidance gratefully accepted.

Last edited:
I would limit it to 8S. 9S is too close even for your mild climate.

The specs are confusing.

To me it sounds like:

3 MPPT
2 parallel strings per MPPT
Each parallel string can have Isc of 26A (26A + 26A).

If I'm correct:

Thus, you can have 8S2P of those panels on each MPPT for a total of 48 panels producing 33,600W, which blows away the Max DC input power.

That seems absurd, so I'd just go 8S on each MPPT for 16,800W total.

You would be under all limits at that point.

I would limit it to 8S. 9S is too close even for your mild climate.

The specs are confusing.

To me it sounds like:

3 MPPT
2 parallel strings per MPPT
Each parallel string can have Isc of 26A (26A + 26A).

If I'm correct:

Thus, you can have 8S2P of those panels on each MPPT for a total of 48 panels producing 33,600W, which blows away the Max DC input power.

That seems absurd, so I'd just go 8S on each MPPT for 16,800W total.

You would be under all limits at that point.

Thanks for your reply sunshine eggo,

The specs above are for a Deye 16kW single phase EU version inverter.

On the Deye 8kW EU version I read somewhere that the MPPT's split half of the stated PV 10,400W load over the 2 MPTT's - so thats 5200W per MPPT.

I am wondering if it is the same for the 16kW EU version as well ie, 18000W / 3 to give 6000W per tracker as max each tracker can process ?

What i am not sure about is if that is 22A per String for each of the 3 trackers ?
I read it as 22a per MPPT. This rating was likely written well before 700w panels. The industry norm is still in the 300-400w range, and the normal amperage is less than 10a, so two strings of 10a (20a) per MPPT.

335w x 9 panels x 2 strings = 6030w x 3 = 18090w V= 9x45v = 405v A=10ax2= 20a

Based off the panels you picked, I would run 8S to each MPPT like Sunshine mentioned.

I read it as 22a per MPPT. This rating was likely written well before 700w panels. The industry norm is still in the 300-400w range, and the normal amperage is less than 10a, so two strings of 10a (20a) per MPPT.

335w x 9 panels x 2 strings = 6030w x 3 = 18090w V= 9x45v = 405v A=10ax2= 20a

Based off the panels you picked, I would run 8S to each MPPT like Sunshine mentioned.

Its hard to know what to think from the data sheet. It is confusing. It clearly says 22+22A and each of the 3 trackers has 2 strings off each mppt. I have been trying to get in touch with them but no answer. I think thats the only to clear this up - lets hear from the maker on this.

As said I could go with an 8S config but that leaves change on the table as far as PV input goes. Ideally I would like to over panel to some degree not under panel.

I may have to look for smaller panels. However I like the BIG panels with thier 2384 x 1303 size frame - its almost an 8x4 sheet sized panel. I suppose they will be difficult to handle to get on the roof but once up there no further issues. Bigger frames mean less panels overall so less attachment gear needed to mount an array.

Last edited:
I am new to mppt's - never used one before so coming to terms with how they work.

The inverter I am looking at gives these spec's;

View attachment 91856

The panels I am interested give these spec's;

View attachment 91857

and the **COLDEST** temps at my location (I am in a hot location but it gets a bit chilly at night - 62F/16C - in June / July we have to break out the jumpers and blankets)

View attachment 91858

So it reads to me as 3 Mppt trackers with each tracker having 2 strings and each string is 22A with 450V max voltage and the Mppt range being 250V to 450V.

Seems that I could put 9 of the Risen 700w panels in one string on each of the Mppt's (9 x 47.17 VOC = 424.53v) with a Vmpp of 39.64v to give 356.76v.

Impp is 17.68A - so fits into the 22A limit.

So it seems 9 of these panels are within the working range of this Mppt setup as the temperature rarely gets cooler then about 16C or 62F - so panel voltage wont spike because of cold temps.

This is my first time to try to figure out matching panels to an Mppt so any guidance gratefully accepted.
It has 2 mppt trackers

It will self limit from 26a max pv ISC to 22a. That is for each MPPT, not for each set of input connections.

Back